What are my chances of doing Youtube Full-time???

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello Everyone...

So I am asking a very simple question
What are my chances of doing Youtube on a Full time basis???
I love doing videos I enjoy making content but right now my Chatting with Mark Stise channel is still very new.
Hell only 475 subscribers is no where near what I need to earn a good enough paycheck.

Don't get me wrong I'm NOT looking to be a multi millionaire
I'm looking to tell my present employer to GO TO HELL!
Clearly it takes a while to building your subscriber base.
But does anyone on here make their living solely from You-tube?

Rouge

The All-Round Lad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Hey Mark,

to sum it up its close to impossible these days as a standalone platform. You'd need to set up other incomes to cash in on your youtube success. Videos on their own barely make money compared to how they used to. You'd need to be in the < 300k subs with equivalent views ball park to start earning some decent cash I believe.

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Rouge
That really helps!!!
Thanks for the input!

Rouge

The All-Round Lad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a well paid job and earn roughly the same from Youtube per month, which is very nice, but I wouldn't even consider moving to YT full time at the moment. It is such a fragile platform that even some huge and mega profitable channels can go broke overnight due to a small change in the terms of service. There is 0% security.

Here is what it would take for me to go full time:

1) Have 3 separate channels, from different niches, earning me a combined 3 x the current wage I'm on now
2) Have over 6 months living expenses in the bank
3) Have additional sources of income outside of Youtube

That is all close to impossible, so I am just enjoying the extra income I'm making, investing, and hoping my channel stays profitable for the foreseeable future.

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you may not know this but many popular youtubers and others have contracts to entertain people. the channel brand i saw from you shows little reason why it would be consider entertaining. if you want to get a contract with one of these big guys, you'll need to show why you be perfect for the job.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The type of channel you have will be very difficult to get you enough income. You said your channel is new but a year isn't really "new". I'm not saying this to bash on you, but don't focus on money at your size of a channel. Infact don't worry about cash until you're at least in the 10-20k subscriber range. What was said above isn't true. You do not need 300k subs to make a living. A person with 50k subs can make just as much as someone with 300k subs. It's all about them views bro. You can also get some really good sponsorships (I'm talking making people pay you $5,000 for a video.) Your best bet is to focus on how you can increase your views.

OrkoTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can make decent money with 50k+ subs if you videos are over 10mins and you put 4+ ads in each video. People might not like that many ads but if you want to make money to support yourself this is what you have to do, 1 ad these days is very little money.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Calculate how much money you need per month for you expenses.
Expect to earn $1 per month for 1000 views. Think about other income sources you would have through YouTube.
Make the reality check whether it is possible to reach.

And don't quit your job unless you are for a good amount of time at least half way at the monthly YouTube income you need to go full time.

Reactions: tahlia

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
already great advice given. there are too many factors to consider. with how much Youtube has changed over the years and with the whole "adpocalypse", who knows what the future holds. you also need to calculate your monthly expenses and like others stated, expect 1 dollar per 1,000 views give or take. on good months, you may get more but that's a good baseline.

also, subscribers doesn't mean squat if the views aren't there and is irrelevant to making money. usually more subs equals more views but that's not a "set in stone" rule.