Advertisement Weekly Crowdfunding Crash Course For YouTubers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefts

Crowdfunding for YouTubers
Crowdfunding for web series is completely different than crowdfunding for a tangible product like a Pebble watch, a 3D printer or a video game and, because crowdfunding is so new, there are many misconceptions and questions that we will answer in our weekly G+ Hangouts.

Learn how to plan, launch and run a successful crowdfunding campaign for your YouTube channel or web series. We will answer questions, review campaigns and give practical tips how to master the process of getting people to your campaign and raising money from your audience.

The first hangout will be next Tuesday, Feb. 18th at 11am PST. Subsequently we will host the hangouts on different days of the week and at different times to accommodate creators who live in different time zones.

Join here: https://plus.google.com/events/c65ku3oancnu9b0ocj1r9185h6

This thread has been pre-approved by YTtalk staff.

Last edited:
I tried it out but you need your real name to do stuff. Not to mention the crummy security system which literally sends you your password to your email, sites that do that instantly put me off. I like the idea a lot though, and I can see some people are having some decent success with it which is great. I'm personally going to avoid it for now until I can do a TubeStart without having to use my real name, not every YouTuber likes revealing their identities.

I tried it out but you need your real name to do stuff. Not to mention the crummy security system which literally sends you your password to your email, sites that do that instantly put me off. I like the idea a lot though, and I can see some people are having some decent success with it which is great. I'm personally going to avoid it for now until I can do a TubeStart without having to use my real name, not every YouTuber likes revealing their identities.
Hi AndrewReviewYou,

Thanks for your reply. Not using your real name in crowdfunding, how would that work? How would your contributors know who they are supporting? Crowdfunding is ALL about transparency, not only in terms what you need the money for but obviously also who you are. If you need to hide behind a Username, I doubt anyone would find your project worth supporting.[DOUBLEPOST=1393474917,1393474827][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey, why I can't go to TubeStart? It leads me to Google everytime. Is my country is not available?

Hi SlenderMan,

Are you by any chance from India? Paypal requires us to block all traffic from India as crowdfunding is illegal there, at least according to Paypal. I am really sorry but there isn't anything we can do, if we want to use Paypal we have to play by there rules.[DOUBLEPOST=1393475193][/DOUBLEPOST]This week's Google+ Hangout on how to raise money for your YouTube channel is on Thursday Feb. 27th at 4pm PST (7pm Eastern, 12am GMT)

Join us and fund your next YouTube production through the crowd: https://plus.google.com/events/calmfr30vmcfud5c6o6op3irrus

See you there!

Hi AndrewReviewYou,

Thanks for your reply. Not using your real name in crowdfunding, how would that work? How would your contributors know who they are supporting? Crowdfunding is ALL about transparency, not only in terms what you need the money for but obviously also who you are. If you need to hide behind a Username, I doubt anyone would find your project worth supporting.[DOUBLEPOST=1393474917,1393474827][/DOUBLEPOST]
It would pretty much work the same way as with a real name. Hiding behind a username on crowdfunding for YouTube is no different from hiding behind 1 on the channel itself. It's like saying that a YouTube channel where a person doesn't use their real name won't succeed. Cryaotic and RPGMinx are 2 of the most successful YouTube channels to not use real names (Cry doesn't even reveal his first name) and there are many others. If someone is dumb enough to exploit the system for their channel they won't get very far as the people who backed their project will obviously cause an uproar about it thus damaging the channel's reputation. I don't mind using my real name privately obviously it would be needed for legal reasons in case I tried to run off with the money and faked the channel or something, but publicly I'll have to pass.

Hi AndrewReviewYou,

Hi SlenderMan,

Are you by any chance from India? Paypal requires us to block all traffic from India as crowdfunding is illegal there, at least according to Paypal. I am really sorry but there isn't anything we can do, if we want to use Paypal we have to play by there rules.[DOUBLEPOST=1393475193][/DOUBLEPOST]This week's Google+ Hangout on how to raise money for your YouTube channel is on Thursday Feb. 27th at 4pm PST (7pm Eastern, 12am GMT)

Join us and fund your next YouTube production through the crowd: https://plus.google.com/events/calmfr30vmcfud5c6o6op3irrus

See you there!
I'm from Malaysia

It would pretty much work the same way as with a real name. Hiding behind a username on crowdfunding for YouTube is no different from hiding behind 1 on the channel itself. It's like saying that a YouTube channel where a person doesn't use their real name won't succeed. Cryaotic and RPGMinx are 2 of the most successful YouTube channels to not use real names (Cry doesn't even reveal his first name) and there are many others. If someone is dumb enough to exploit the system for their channel they won't get very far as the people who backed their project will obviously cause an uproar about it thus damaging the channel's reputation. I don't mind using my real name privately obviously it would be needed for legal reasons in case I tried to run off with the money and faked the channel or something, but publicly I'll have to pass.

You're going to need a verified payment account like a Paypal account to crowdfund so hiding your name just wouldn't be an option, contributors can who they are sending money to, that's just how crowdfunding works. No room for hiding behind usernames here.[DOUBLEPOST=1393483565,1393483510][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm from Malaysia
Sorry Malaysia is also on the Paypal blocked list, nothing we can do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back