Wanting to start a documentary channel, but I don't want to get sued...

TinkerTanker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello!

I'm wanting to start a documentary channel(It wont be pure documentary, but that is a topic for another day) and I'm worried about legal issues.
Alright, so I am wanting to make documentary videos on military vehicles(mainly tanks) and as such i'd want to use historical photos and videos but when you look up "WW2 tanks" you get the same photo from MANY different websites.
In other words, HOW DO I USE HISTORICAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS WITHOUT GETTING SUED?!

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I will never try to use pics from external sites, I would rather capture pics from my DSLR than downloading the pics from internet. In your case, I would suggest, get the picture from internet, try to sketch a picture of that photo in different way, if u r a good painter, u can color it and create ur own masterpiece.
Second option, use images, blur some parts or do some photoshop. It shouldn't be completely copied from internet.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In other words, HOW DO I USE HISTORICAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS WITHOUT GETTING SUED?!
If you cant capture the pictures yourself (and I guess it can be hard with historical pictures:)) I believe you can set google search for pictures that are ok to use, and use with changes. Otherwise I guess there is no other way than to ask in different forums if someone has some pictures you can use or maybe you could buy some pictures.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you have a war museum nearby?
If you do you can get permission from the curator and take photos of exhibits yourself or they might be happy to supply you with some
Or go and interview some veterans and they may have photos of their own to show you

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the copyright discussion forum. ^^