Voice editing assistance

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Whenever I go to edit my voice recordings, I tend to just put in some noise cancellation, normalization, and maybe some amplify effects. It sounds alright, but I would like to know if there is a better method to make it sound better? I usually get clipping too. I have a Blue Snowball with a Pop filter. I use Audacity to record my voice and edit. Using these methods doesnt always resolve the clipping issue, but I may just be doing it wrong. Can anyone help?

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Cutting audio is always gonna sound really weird because inflection is off. There really isn't a way to make it sound that great

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Cutting audio is always gonna sound really weird because inflection is off. There really isn't a way to make it sound that great
I understand about cutting. It does take a bit of patience to get cutting to work in my favor. However, I have made videos where my mic peaked and it was overwhelmingly terrible. Using noise cancellation and normalize didn't help much. I'm not sure if there was another method that could help fix it

dreambridgelists

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If possible try recording in a room with less echo or even a closet with a bunch of clothes in it to avoid having to even add noise cancellation all together

Reactions: KPM

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Whenever I go to edit my voice recordings, I tend to just put in some noise cancellation, normalization, and maybe some amplify effects. It sounds alright, but I would like to know if there is a better method to make it sound better? I usually get clipping too. I have a Blue Snowball with a Pop filter. I use Audacity to record my voice and edit. Using these methods doesnt always resolve the clipping issue, but I may just be doing it wrong. Can anyone help?

In what order are you doing the noise reduction / normalization ?

Try doing the normalization first and then the noise reduction.

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
In what order are you doing the noise reduction / normalization ?

Try doing the normalization first and then the noise reduction.
I have been doing nice cancellation first. Ill try the reverse instead and see how that works. Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1487196897,1487196812][/DOUBLEPOST]
If possible try recording in a room with less echo or even a closet with a bunch of clothes in it to avoid having to even add noise cancellation all together
I actually did do a recording in my closet (although it was really stuffy and cramped). However, I applied my usual voice editing. I will continue recording in the closet and keep experimenting. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Crown

Spook

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Clipping also known as Peaking occurs when your source of audio (i.e. your voice) becomes to loud.

Now there are a few ways to fix this issue, but it is important to understand that the actions taken must PREVENT the clipping or peaking from TAKING PLACE as it is impossible to fix after it has been recorded.

1. Record at a lower DB input, to test the volume you need to record at, speak into the mic at the max volume you will be recording at, if it peaks lower the DB input, if not you are good!

2. Record with a limiter (NEVER USE AGC also known as Auto Gain Control, it's of the devil) basically a limiter puts a ceiling at a set value where the audio DB will stop and not exceed!

3. Finally use compression on your vocals after using the aforementioned tactics to normalize your audio! (Boosts your lows, squashes your highs, evens out your DB range!)

Good Luck! Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Spook (aka Yellow)

Reactions: Crown and KPM

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Clipping also known as Peaking occurs when your source of audio (i.e. your voice) becomes to loud.

Now there are a few ways to fix this issue, but it is important to understand that the actions taken must PREVENT the clipping or peaking from TAKING PLACE as it is impossible to fix after it has been recorded.

1. Record at a lower DB input, to test the volume you need to record at, speak into the mic at the max volume you will be recording at, if it peaks lower the DB input, if not you are good!

2. Record with a limiter (NEVER USE AGC also known as Auto Gain Control, it's of the devil) basically a limiter puts a ceiling at a set value where the audio DB will stop and not exceed!

3. Finally use compression on your vocals after using the aforementioned tactics to normalize your audio! (Boosts your lows, squashes your highs, evens out your DB range!)

Good Luck! Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Spook (aka Yellow)
This is very helpful! Word for word, these are the steps I need. Thank you so much! I will try these steps and see the difference. If its too much to ask, would you happen to know any limiter and compression programs? Or is that something I can use within Audacity? I sometimes use Camtasia while editing my video to include fade in/out to the audio as well.

Reactions: Spook

Spook

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is very helpful! Word for word, these are the steps I need. Thank you so much! I will try these steps and see the difference. If its too much to ask, would you happen to know any limiter and compression programs? Or is that something I can use within Audacity? I sometimes use Camtasia while editing my video to include fade in/out to the audio as well.
Unfortunately the forum wont let me post links to the manual, but if you google search AUDACITY LMITER and AUDACITY COMPRESSION, the first result for each search will explain everything you need to know, straight from the manual!

- Good Luck! :)

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Unfortunately the forum wont let me post links to the manual, but if you google search AUDACITY LMITER and AUDACITY COMPRESSION, the first result for each search will explain everything you need to know, straight from the manual!

- Good Luck! :)
Awesome! I will try it out! Thanks again!