Video Got Deleted. Any advice on NBA Copyright Strikes?

zia

Reaction score
Hi fellows,

WERNING: Anglish isn't my Mative languaje, zo be ready to fin some errors. I trying me biast.

I'll go right to the point, Not so long ago I've got my channel's main video deleted by the strike of NBA, it was pity as this video was very successful right from when it was uploaded, as it attracted a lot of attention, also s****y side was that it was claimed and monetized by NBA, but it was still fine for me as I had other videos (copyrights unclaimed) which were generating me some income, but those videos we weak on their own, major amount of their traffic was coming off this first video. I kept uploading other videos and I was trying to avoid copyright claims, even though i had some luck in upload them without getting copyrighted, but eventually lots of them ended up being claimed manually by NBA.

Back to the point, so NBA eventually banned this video permanently and my channel is now useless, traffic dropped like 10 times... (account is restricted till about the end of April).
Throughout the life of this channel's life there were ups and downs, I mean sometimes I was working a lot and was sure about success, and there was times when I wanted to give up, and lately this feeling is not leaving me alone. All those copyright claims are killing me and I'm feeling like there's no way to be success here, though you will always be paranoid that one day you wake up and find your video deleted or/and your channel down...

I am jealous for those who film their own footage and generate lots of views.

I remember when I was starting off I was thinking that if I belong to the network I am able to use copyrighted material, as the network is sharing the revenue with content owner, but I was wrong as networks actually are useless, the only good thing about my network was that I got paid by paypal from them, and all the copyrights stuff is up to you deal with...

So I wanted to ask you if there's any chance for average joe to work with such corporation as NBA alongside and do it legally? Are there any other options for me to make it worth spending time editing NBA videos or rather I should look for other niche? (You could help me here too LOL)

Thanks for those who read this till the and and thanks in advance for those who will response ;)

Reactions: Time Jacker

Time Jacker

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi fellows,

WERNING: Anglish isn't my Mative languaje, zo be ready to fin some errors. I trying me biast.

I'll go right to the point, Not so long ago I've got my channel's main video deleted by the strike of NBA, it was pity as this video was very successful right from when it was uploaded, as it attracted a lot of attention, also s****y side was that it was claimed and monetized by NBA, but it was still fine for me as I had other videos (copyrights unclaimed) which were generating me some income, but those videos we weak on their own, major amount of their traffic was coming off this first video. I kept uploading other videos and I was trying to avoid copyright claims, even though i had some luck in upload them without getting copyrighted, but eventually lots of them ended up being claimed manually by NBA.

Back to the point, so NBA eventually banned this video permanently and my channel is now useless, traffic dropped like 10 times... (account is restricted till about the end of April).
Throughout the life of this channel's life there were ups and downs, I mean sometimes I was working a lot and was sure about success, and there was times when I wanted to give up, and lately this feeling is not leaving me alone. All those copyright claims are killing me and I'm feeling like there's no way to be success here, though you will always be paranoid that one day you wake up and find your video deleted or/and your channel down...

I am jealous for those who film their own footage and generate lots of views.

I remember when I was starting off I was thinking that if I belong to the network I am able to use copyrighted material, as the network is sharing the revenue with content owner, but I was wrong as networks actually are useless, the only good thing about my network was that I got paid by paypal from them, and all the copyrights stuff is up to you deal with...

So I wanted to ask you if there's any chance for average joe to work with such corporation as NBA alongside and do it legally? Are there any other options for me to make it worth spending time editing NBA videos or rather I should look for other niche? (You could help me here too LOL)

Thanks for those who read this till the and and thanks in advance for those who will response ;)
That sounds rough, but basically, it's inevitable. You can't make a channel that relies on copyrighted works. Copyright is copyright. Belonging to a network does not magically exempt you from copyright and there's nothing they can do about it - in fact, I bet their terms of service specifically ban use of copyrighted material. The likes of the NBA are never going to want to work with a YouTuber and, even if they did, your life would still be a pain as the department chasing copyright inevitably doesn't speak to the entity that gave you permission.

In short, I would suggest that trying to establish a channel that is reliant on footage you don't own is never going to work, and you are probably better off finding another approach. The niche could be the same, but the approach has got to change. On the plus side, you've now gained plenty of experience with YouTube and you know what works and what doesn't, etc.

Reactions: zia

zia

Reaction score
That sounds rough, but basically, it's inevitable. You can't make a channel that relies on copyrighted works. Copyright is copyright. Belonging to a network does not magically exempt you from copyright and there's nothing they can do about it - in fact, I bet their terms of service specifically ban use of copyrighted material. The likes of the NBA are never going to want to work with a YouTuber and, even if they did, your life would still be a pain as the department chasing copyright inevitably doesn't speak to the entity that gave you permission.

In short, I would suggest that trying to establish a channel that is reliant on footage you don't own is never going to work, and you are probably better off finding another approach. The niche could be the same, but the approach has got to change. On the plus side, you've now gained plenty of experience with YouTube and you know what works and what doesn't, etc.
Thanks for your reply, really appreciated. And to talk about finding new approach of the channel I want to say that NBA niche was good as it needed just to edit the video basically, no need for voice over or English grammar, though I always wanted to have a channel where I could speak and write scripts, but it was a struggle for me since English was my second language, even though I it know very well (as a foreigner), but overall level of my English cant be compared to native English speaker...I just feel that average English speaking person wouldn't be interested in to broken English materials (also there many examples of very very famous channels with very broken English, ie crazy Russian hacker). So this is another obstacle for me...
I could do channel in my native language, you say? But what's the point if there less than 4kk people speaking it?
Anyway the point is that as I look for niche I have lot of stuff to consider and weight before I choose. I chose NBA niche as I had a lot of fun in watching/editing basketball videos and I needed not that much of English, and when I started generating income I thought I was on a right way, but then all this copyright s**t happened and now it' back to the beginning...

Last edited: