Vidcon 2020 in LA has NOT been cancelled

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

For now, VidCon’s flagship U.S. edition is still a go amid a wave of cancellations of other events and shutdowns including the closure of Disneyland and other theme parks over the coronavirus outbreak.

VidCon US 2020 remains scheduled to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from June 17-20, 2020, according to a spokesperson for the event. “We continue to monitor the situation, but at this time we have no plans to materially modify the event in any way,” the VidCon rep said in a statement.

Full story and source: https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/vidcon-2020-coronavirus-crisis-1203532329/

There is no way I'd go to an event with such big crowds with the coronavirus situation as it stands.

Thoughts?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah, I wouldn't want to come, either... :S But maybe the virus will die with the heat of the warmer months? Is that wishful thinking? :eek:

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, I wouldn't want to come, either... :S But maybe the virus will die with the heat of the warmer months? Is that wishful thinking? :eek:
There are 51 new cases, 452 total and 5 deaths in Australia even though it's summer Down Under. I don't buy the "virus is vulnerable to heat" story. I also don't think people should panic this much, other than those that would get critically sick from flu or cold as well.

Turns out, this virus is so infectious it cannot be stopped, no matter what the officials say. It's gonna be the new reality from now on and until we get a vaccine, the number of infected is gonna keep growing. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 1 million dead people total before we finally "contain" this (AKA make it manageable through vaccinations), most of deaths probably stemming from previous medical conditions, smokers, cancer patients with compromised immunity systems...

Uncomfortable, but certainly a possibility.

EDIT: "...Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus (swine flu) infection during the first year the virus circulated..."
Sources:

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'm in France and the whole country is in total lockdown starting from today. You are only allowed to leave your home to buy essential items (food, medication), go to work (must have written permission from employer with a very good reason why you can't work from home) or to get medical treatment. If you leave your home for one of those reasons, you must sign and date a legal document before you go out and have that document on your person. Police and the army are patrolling the streets and handing out fines to anyone flouting the rules.

There is a very eerie silence. It feels like the apocolypse. :eek:

This is pretty serious stuff. I predict this will happen in all countries very soon. Take precautions now. Stay safe. :)

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm in France and the whole country is in total lockdown starting from today. You are only allowed to leave your home to buy essential items (food, medication), go to work (must have written permission from employer with a very good reason why you can't work from home) or to get medical treatment. If you leave your home for one of those reasons, you must sign and date a legal document before you go out and have that document on your person. Police and the army are patrolling the streets and handing out fines to anyone flouting the rules.

There is a very eerie silence. It feels like the apocolypse. :eek:

This is pretty serious stuff. I predict this will happen in all countries very soon. Take precautions now. Stay safe. :)
Yeah, the government here in Croatia is also considering introducing similar measures, rumours are by the end of this week, possibly even tomorrow. It's all very strange to me. I'll sound like a conspiracy theorist again, but I can't help and feel like the whole world is part of some weird biochemical and socioeconomic experiment. I mean, yes, people are clearly dying, that's undeniable, but I don't remember this much panic being spread by the media when hundreds, thousands of people were dying from swine flu back in 2009-2010.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah, the government here in Croatia is also considering introducing similar measures, rumours are by the end of this week, possibly even tomorrow. It's all very strange to me. I'll sound like a conspiracy theorist again, but I can't help and feel like the whole world is part of some weird biochemical and socioeconomic experiment. I mean, yes, people are clearly dying, that's undeniable, but I don't remember this much panic being spread by the media when hundreds, thousands of people were dying from swine flu back in 2009-2010.

I agree that I think there are a lot of things that we are not being told. There is a theory that the virus was man-made in a lab that has leaked probably accidentally or maybe even on purpose. We'll never know.

Regardless of the source, I think the true extent of the problem is waay behind the official figures. It's not only the virus itself now that is the problem, it's also the huge worldwide recession that is going to happen due to everywhere being locked down. Imagine owning a shop or restaurant and being ordered to close the doors to customers indefinitely but you still have to pay your rent. Ouch. All the employees who will be out of a job and won't be spending any money. It's a huge snowball effect. :(

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I agree that I think there are a lot of things that we are not being told. There is a theory that the virus was man-made in a lab that has leaked probably accidentally or maybe even on purpose. We'll never know.

Regardless of the source, I think the true extent of the problem is waay behind the official figures. It's not only the virus itself now that is the problem, it's also the huge worldwide recession that is going to happen due to everywhere being locked down. Imagine owning a shop or restaurant and being ordered to close the doors to customers indefinitely but you still have to pay your rent. Ouch. All the employees who will be out of a job and won't be spending any money. It's a huge snowball effect. :(
Indeed. The virus really isn't the main problem here. The supply chain, the entire industry verticals getting disrupted this radically and people & companies panic-selling their portfolios is what's gonna crash the market and then continue rippling for months, heck, maybe even years. It will get very bad very soon before it gets a bit better.

Unless a viable treatment gets developed in the next 1-3 weeks, this is basically inevitable - the whole world is rapidly coming to a screeching halt.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Indeed. The virus really isn't the main problem here. The supply chain, the entire industry verticals getting disrupted this radically and people & companies panic-selling their portfolios is what's gonna crash the market and then continue rippling for months, heck, maybe even years. It will get very bad very soon before it gets a bit better.

Unless a viable treatment gets developed in the next 1-3 weeks, this is basically inevitable - the whole world is rapidly coming to a screeching halt.
Yeah, we need testing kits that anyone can use, a vaccine and a cure asap.