Trying to reboot my channel. NEED ADVICE

KyleDB

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hello there,
Recently I've posted my first video in my attempts to re shape my channel. I'm having a hard time trying to re-establish my footing on youtube, basically because I haven't had much of a grab on the platform.

So I ask you YTtalk, [What is your advice for a channel trying to reshift their niche??]

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
First, your link doesn't work.

Second, from what to what? What is your channel currently and what do you want it to become? If you're a gaming channel and you're merely shifting from horror games to strategy games, that's one thing. But if you're a gaming channel and now you want to be a cooking channel, that's a MUCH harder other thing.

Third, what didn't you like about your old niche? Why does this new niche interest you? Is that interest one that you've had for a long time? Can passion for it alone keep you pumping out episodes?

Reactions: KyleDB

KyleDB

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
First, your link doesn't work.

Second, from what to what? What is your channel currently and what do you want it to become? If you're a gaming channel and you're merely shifting from horror games to strategy games, that's one thing. But if you're a gaming channel and now you want to be a cooking channel, that's a MUCH harder other thing.

Third, what didn't you like about your old niche? Why does this new niche interest you? Is that interest one that you've had for a long time? Can passion for it alone keep you pumping out episodes?
Alright, I've just fixed the link and it should link to my channel now

Well, my original niche.... there wasn't much of an original niche. I made some short films in school so I decided to put my stuff there. From then, I continued to just make random comedy skits. But now, I decided to actually find a niche (of course, in something that I enjoy) and it was music videos. So my "official" first post is my most recent review video.

Yeah, I think my joy of watching music videos is more than enough for me to pump out episodes, definitely. There's always a new one on youtube everyday.

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alright, I've just fixed the link and it should link to my channel now
It does now.

Well, my original niche.... there wasn't much of an original niche.
A common newbie error.

I made some short films in school...
Film school?

In your latest video ("[REVIEW] Naughty boy - Runnin' (Lost it all)"], you seem to still be in college as that looks like a roommate on a bunkbed behind you. You still in school? If so, what's your major?

...so I decided to put my stuff there. From then, I continued to just make random comedy skits.
What didn't you like about producing comedy skits?

But now, I decided to actually find a niche (of course, in something that I enjoy) and it was music videos. So my "official" first post is my most recent review video. Yeah, I think my joy of watching music videos is more than enough for me to pump out episodes, definitely. There's always a new one on youtube everyday.
So your target audience is for those who like dissecting music videos? Or are you more recommending great videos for your subscribers to check out? Both? If the first, how big of an audience do you think that will be? It seems like a very small niche. Very much "into the weeds" kind of stuff. Videophile kind of stuff.

If it is the latter, are you trying to be an aggregator for video music fans? "Here's the best music videos that have been released within the last week." sort of thing? Will you specialize in a music genre? If so, which one(s)?

Sorry for all the questions but until I get a better understanding of you and your goals, the only advice I can give is generic.

KyleDB

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
No, not film school, I used to post short films that I made when I was in high school, and yes, I'm in college now, but there isn't much to that.

As for the comedy skits, I didn't feel like I had much to bring to the table. There were so many people doing comedy as a "default", posting comedy videos because that's what everyone else did. I figured I'd take my youtube channel to somewhere a bit less discovered - music videos / reviews. I feel like I have much more to say, and there's a lot of room for me to grow here.

I see your point in catering to a very small niche, however, that's actually what I was going for. I think that a small niche would definitely be better because of a more loyal fanbase.

As far as a specific type of music video, I dont have one yet, however, I think I should lean towards a more specific genre in order to narrow down my niche.

Reactions: Jack Decker

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
No, not film school, I used to post short films that I made when I was in high school, and yes, I'm in college now, but there isn't much to that.
If one doesn't already exist at your college, start up a YouTube club. When I went to college (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth), starting up a student organization was easy. It is really a good idea to have meat world people who are doing the same thing you are. You can collaborate with them. Brainstorm. Vent. Provide moral support. Help each other deal with The Dip. Etc.

As for the comedy skits, I didn't feel like I had much to bring to the table.
As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

I figured I'd take my youtube channel to somewhere a bit less discovered - music videos / reviews. I feel like I have much more to say, and there's a lot of room for me to grow here. I see your point in catering to a very small niche, however, that's actually what I was going for. I think that a small niche would definitely be better because of a more loyal fanbase.
Good! You've thought it out a bit. Now...

1) Add a comment to that music video's comment section and give a link to your review. Expect to be flamed by their fans.

2) Email the band directly and if they have a publicist, email him instead of band members. Tell them that you try to cover a lot of bands but any of your videos that gets a lot of Likes, you will naturally do a review of another of one of that band's songs. This might get them to tell their fans to go to your review of them and click the "Like" button. ;)

3) Tell the bands that if they are producing a music video within X number of miles from where you live, you'd love to come by and do a behind-the-scenes video of them making their music video.

4) If the band tours and they will tour within reasonable driving distance to you, suggest you do a concert attendee video. Or even an All-Access backstage video.

It is my bet that your channel can become very successful if you can enlist the help of the publicists of the bands that you review.

As far as a specific type of music video, I dont have one yet, however, I think I should lean towards a more specific genre in order to narrow down my niche.
Good idea. As long as there are a good number of bands in that narrower niche, you should be fine. How many are a "good number"? That I cannot answer for you. It depends on how often you're going to release videos. The more frequently you release, the bigger that "good number" will need to be.