"Trending" tab is rigged towards "traditional media"

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Your average YouTube creator needs millions — perhaps even tens of millions — of views to hit the platform’s ‘Trending’ tab. If that doesn’t sound surprising, here’s another tidbit: traditional media outlets like late-night shows, ESPN, and CNNonly need hundreds of thousands — or sometimes only tens of thousands — of views to make it there.

This data comes from an analysis by Stephen, the first-name-only creator of YouTube channel Coffee Break (which has 328K subscribers). In his newest upload, Stephen reveals that he spent the past seven months analyzing data scraped from more than 40,000 videos uploaded between November 2017 and June 2018. Those videos came from about 2,000 unique channels.

Video:

Full article: https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/05/29/youtube-views-to-get-on-trending-tab-how-does-trending-work/

_______

This didn't use to be the case - But I guess YouTube thinks "traditional media" are less likely to produce "inappropriate" content. Thoughts?

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Youtube has some weird decision making process and some problems they need to figure out.

I mean, this is the best example of what they understand of pro "creator" or "community".

They seriously need competition, something that will cause them to stop behaving like Microsoft of old, stupidly greedy that got them nowhere and a bad image to boot. Yeah, MS, alienated businesses and users with very odd practices until this new, and more open, and lenient approach they've adopted. Still not close to good but much better than before.

Reactions: Crown

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Wauw, that's some hard core favoritism. Especially the difference between the US and Canada servers blew my mind. US at it again with its censorship and capitalism.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, DUH! YouTube is doing all that they can to cater to TV/Cable.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get premium ad rates...

Reactions: Crown

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well I think YT is just going for the ad revenue (which is in fact their job). The big names can get top dollar for ads, and you know they will get views. But then again most of what I watch on YT is American talk shows - we do not get many here in the Philippines. Check out the sub counts, and views on Ellen, Daily Show, Colbert Kimmel etc. Kind of sucks... but they are reliable for high view counts and good watch retention.

Hasa92

Reaction score
YT is being very counter-productive here. If they we're smart they would try to grow with the channels that made it big in the first place, it could grow much bigger than what traditional media ever was.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All platforms are the same - Just follow the money. They do whatever they do to maximize the metrics that will get them the most $.

IvyKolbs

Reaction score
Youtube has some weird decision making process and some problems they need to figure out.

I mean, this is the best example of what they understand of pro "creator" or "community".

They seriously need competition, something that will cause them to stop behaving like Microsoft of old, stupidly greedy that got them nowhere and a bad image to boot. Yeah, MS, alienated businesses and users with very odd practices until this new, and more open, and lenient approach they've adopted. Still not close to good but much better than before.
Ya it seems YT is trying to focus more towards bigger companies.