Trending News | Video Review Request

GoldenBeezy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
Hey everybody!
I'm Brian or GoldenBeezy and I recently just uploaded my first "news" video and was just wondering if I could receive some feedback on it; both positive and negative so that it can help me to improve for future videos.
I am aware that I do speak quite fast and that I mumble at times, but every piece of feedback helps!

In this video, I simply discuss two currently trending news stories regarding Vine shutting down and the whole Toblerone situation in Britain.

Brigadier Glyte

Reaction score
What is that thumbnail? You've got an image with a white background, so you decided to overlay it on... a picture of No Man's Sky? Moving on...

Write a script! It feels like everything you're saying is just your own thoughts, interjected with a lot of fillers and pauses. For a 'news' video, it is not concise or informative enough, and I think a script could help to improve that. By the 1:30 mark here's what you've told me.

• Vine is shutting down
  • Twitter might be selling it
  • You don't know why
Also, if you're going to overlay stuff on the screen, at least make sure the gameplay isn't you sucking at said game. I tend to watch these kinds of videos in the background as I go about my day, so remember to announce clearly that
A. Something is going on the screen
B. Precisely what that thing is.

Try to speed up your vocals a bit. You could fit a lot more content into a 3:54 video than you did if you cut out the pauses, and just said what you wanted to say. Since you're obviously going for a Scarce type niche, try to compare his videos to yours.

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As Brigadier Glyte although harsh there is valid points. I could not even watch 30 seconds of the news.

The thumbnail needs work, write a script... also I will go as far and say don't even overlay anything. If I want to watch gameplay I will go to one of the other YouTubers on here or popular YouTubers. Get a decent camera, lighting and a proper setting. Have a look at the Phillip Defranco show, this guy gives news in such an entertaining fashion.

Look if you don't have the cash for a starting kit. At least add some more sound effects like when you show a piece of an article use some short boom sound effect like a splat or something.

Also don't show google search results otherwise whats the point ? It looks like you heard news and googled it, showed the first result and am satisfied that that is the final conclusion. What if the first result is a hoax and it was just a rumor spread around and everybody followed it like a sheep. Now you are part of the herd.

Look its either you invest time in making your videos, creating proper thumbnails and write a script or just give up.

Not being harsh, just being real.

GoldenBeezy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
What is that thumbnail? You've got an image with a white background, so you decided to overlay it on... a picture of No Man's Sky? Moving on...

Write a script! It feels like everything you're saying is just your own thoughts, interjected with a lot of fillers and pauses. For a 'news' video, it is not concise or informative enough, and I think a script could help to improve that. By the 1:30 mark here's what you've told me.

• Vine is shutting down
  • Twitter might be selling it
  • You don't know why
Also, if you're going to overlay stuff on the screen, at least make sure the gameplay isn't you sucking at said game. I tend to watch these kinds of videos in the background as I go about my day, so remember to announce clearly that
A. Something is going on the screen
B. Precisely what that thing is.

Try to speed up your vocals a bit. You could fit a lot more content into a 3:54 video than you did if you cut out the pauses, and just said what you wanted to say. Since you're obviously going for a Scarce type niche, try to compare his videos to yours.
I know that the thumbnails need work but I cannot currently afford Photoshop or any other sort of program. If you know any good, free ones, I'm all ears.

As for the background gameplay, it isn't my gameplay, it is free, non-copyrighted footage that I was given access to use. However, I will definitely try to find "better" gameplay in the future.

I was worried that I might have been speaking too fast, but I will definitely try to talk a bit faster. It's just difficult considering many people do not understand my accent.

As Brigadier Glyte although harsh there is valid points. I could not even watch 30 seconds of the news.

The thumbnail needs work, write a script... also I will go as far and say don't even overlay anything. If I want to watch gameplay I will go to one of the other YouTubers on here or popular YouTubers. Get a decent camera, lighting and a proper setting. Have a look at the Phillip Defranco show, this guy gives news in such an entertaining fashion.

Look if you don't have the cash for a starting kit. At least add some more sound effects like when you show a piece of an article use some short boom sound effect like a splat or something.

Also don't show google search results otherwise whats the point ? It looks like you heard news and googled it, showed the first result and am satisfied that that is the final conclusion. What if the first result is a hoax and it was just a rumor spread around and everybody followed it like a sheep. Now you are part of the herd.

Look its either you invest time in making your videos, creating proper thumbnails and write a script or just give up.

Not being harsh, just being real.
I agree that the thumbnails definitely do need work however I cannot currently afford Photoshop or anything else like that, however if you know any good, free programs that I can use as a temporary solution, then I'm all ears. This is my current thumbnail though; http://imgur.com/a/SfQ94 not a "No Man's Sky" one that Brigadier said :confused:

I will try to pre-write a script in the future, however the reason that I did not write a script in the first place was because I didn't want it to be that "strict" or whatever, I wanted it to be more relaxed and casual. However, I know that a script could help and eliminating some of those pauses for "uh's" and "um's".

I'll show better content in the overlay images and get better news results in the future and in more detail.

Thanks for the reviews.

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know that the thumbnails need work but I cannot currently afford Photoshop or any other sort of program. If you know any good, free ones, I'm all ears.

As for the background gameplay, it isn't my gameplay, it is free, non-copyrighted footage that I was given access to use. However, I will definitely try to find "better" gameplay in the future.

I was worried that I might have been speaking too fast, but I will definitely try to talk a bit faster. It's just difficult considering many people do not understand my accent.

I agree that the thumbnails definitely do need work however I cannot currently afford Photoshop or anything else like that, however if you know any good, free programs that I can use as a temporary solution, then I'm all ears. This is my current thumbnail though; http://imgur.com/a/SfQ94 not a "No Man's Sky" one that Brigadier said :confused:

I will try to pre-write a script in the future, however the reason that I did not write a script in the first place was because I didn't want it to be that "strict" or whatever, I wanted it to be more relaxed and casual. However, I know that a script could help and eliminating some of those pauses for "uh's" and "um's".

I'll show better content in the overlay images and get better news results in the future and in more detail.

Thanks for the reviews.
One google away, there all of them are free. They are not the best but beggers can't be choosers.
  • GIMP. 'GNU Image Manipulation Program', or as it is widely known as – GIMP is the best free alternative to Adobe Photoshop you'll ever stumble across. ...
  • Paint.NET. ...
  • Seashore. ...
  • Pixlr. ...
  • PicMonkey. ...
  • SumoPaint. ...
  • Krita. ...
  • CinePaint.
I disagree completely on a script changing your mood of a video from casual or relaxed to strict. As a viewer I don't think that my content creator goes and sit down and create a script. On the contrary I think it might even make your channel seem more relaxed then ever. Especially if you can talk fluently.

Strongs and have a nice day

GoldenBeezy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
One google away, there all of them are free. They are not the best but beggers can't be choosers.
  • GIMP. 'GNU Image Manipulation Program', or as it is widely known as – GIMP is the best free alternative to Adobe Photoshop you'll ever stumble across. ...
  • Paint.NET. ...
  • Seashore. ...
  • Pixlr. ...
  • PicMonkey. ...
  • SumoPaint. ...
  • Krita. ...
  • CinePaint.
I disagree completely on a script changing your mood of a video from casual or relaxed to strict. As a viewer I don't think that my content creator goes and sit down and create a script. On the contrary I think it might even make your channel seem more relaxed then ever. Especially if you can talk fluently.

Strongs and have a nice day
Thank you for your feedback. I'll be sure to check some of them out straight away!
And thank you for agreeing about not needing a script. I think that having a script makes things far too "boring" or "strict" whereas if I am simply speaking casually without a script, I can just be more loose, free and open with my thoughts about things.

Brigadier Glyte

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. I'll be sure to check some of them out straight away!
And thank you for agreeing about not needing a script. I think that having a script makes things far too "boring" or "strict" whereas if I am simply speaking casually without a script, I can just be more loose, free and open with my thoughts about things.
Uh, he was trying to convey that scripting doesn't need to change the mood of a video, not that it isn't needed. Why not be "loose, free and open" when you're writing the script?

"I disagree completely on a script changing your mood of a video from casual or relaxed to strict." As in, writing a script doesn't change the mood of your videos. "On the contrary I think it might even make your channel seem more relaxed then ever." As in, having a script that allows you to speak fluently would make it seem more relaxed.

But beyond that, I don't mean a script in the terms of Shakespeare where every word must be followed exactly. Just note down all the points you want to make, all the jokes you want to make, and any other notes. I'm not trying to get at you, honestly. I just think that brutally honest feedback is the best kind. The audio quality is good, editing up to standard, and title well written, it's just that you don't flow well in your videos.