Top 10 tips to grow a small YouTube channel

Henrik Olsen

Reaction score
I read a lot of posts about small channels not growing. I’m a small YouTuber myself and seem to have cracked that part at least for now. I have gained a lot of subscribers since Christmas with only weekly postings. I want to share what worked for me:

Here is my top 10 (not prioritized):

1. Focus on what your channel is about (don’t be all over the place, if you talk to everybody you talk to nobody) Adjust your content to be unique and produce content for your audience and not to your audience.

2. All the essential stuff: catchy title, good description, thumbnails, optimized tags

3. Find your tribe outside youtube, FB groups, and forums as they are genuine interested in your topic and will drive views. Promote but do not spam and use these groups for research on future topics for videos.

4. Drive views instead of subscribers (subscribers will come, but you need views to get them and convert them)

5. Script your video, so you make sure it has a proper catchy intro, middle section, and outro (where you promote your other stuff in context)

6. Ask your audience to like, subscribe and comment. But not all at once, as they will end up doing none of it.

7. Encourage your community with questions about the video, and engaged community is more likely to share your stuff

8. Make sure to follow growth guru’s like Roberto Blake, Derral Eves, Nick Nimmin for a lot of good advice.

9. Be consistent and post regularly. Yes, it's hard work but it will pay off. At least you should try it on a 3 month period and evaluate the outcome.

10. Make a release plan for each video to make sure you remember everything. I do not need to be complicated you a list of things you need to do. Trust me it really helps to make the process less stressful. (you can make a template you can re use)

Not sure if this will work for your projects, but I found these things very helpful to me.

Audrone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great tips! I've never seen anyone suggesting not to ask subscribe, comment and like in one go but spread it through out all the video. I'll give a try in the next few videos and see if it makes any difference for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henrik Olsen

Reaction score
Great tips! I've never seen anyone suggesting not to ask subscribe, comment and like in one go but spread it through out all the video. I'll give a try in the next few videos and see if it makes any difference for me.
My strategy is simple, set expectations fast and then ask people to subscribe before you deliver what you promised. You properly know you loose like 50% towards the end at best, so better make the message come across fast.

Fox Beat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Drive views instead of subscribers (subscribers will come, but you need views to get them and convert them)
So true, theres so many people are putting forward to get subs as much as possible, they're always begging to be subscribed instead. Thanks for the tips.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Thank you for all the tips and tricks!
#6 Makes so much sense! At first I felt bad for "asking" people to subscribe, like, comment, etc. or anything...so I wouldn't. Then in a couple of recent videos (which are finished and I'm about to upload) I did all 3 and now I regret it. But at least now I know not to do that.

Can't wait to start using some of these. Thanks again! =]

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great tips!
I'm going to start trying out #6, because I'm guilty of doing all three items mentioned :tongue:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the tutorials section. :)

AmyHouse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
These are such great tips! I'm brand new to vlogging so can use any help I can get. I try and script my videos but sometimes I start to sound like a robot. If I don't script then I'm all over the place :p I need to find a happy medium I suppose. I will also simply forget to ask people to like and subscribe. So many things to learn :)

Henrik Olsen

Reaction score
@AmyHouse
I script mine but does not always stick the script. But you can use your script in your description afterward as SEO material, so it has multiple purposes. As I'm mostly doing technical stuff like tutorials I have often a lot of B-roll I need to remember to record, so this is perfect for my needs.