Top 10 reasons why Youtubers DON'T reply to comments?

Taofledermaus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Everyone,

One of my pet-peeves are channels, from small to big, that just do not reply to their viewers. I'm thinking about compiling a list of at least 10 reasons why this happens. If you can think of other ones, please let me know.
(not in any particular order)
1) The channel is overwhelmed. They may have gotten lucky and posted a viral video and they do not know where to begin to reply to comments.

2) The uploader is primarily a cell phone user. Replying to comments via a mobile device is clunky.

3) The uploader is not a watcher of videos so they do not understand what it is like to comment on a video and then being ignored.

4) Bad typist. The person is just a horrible typist and it takes forever to just peck out a few words.

5) Trolled-out. This is a person who has given up even reading their comments because they focus too much on the troll comments.

6) Comments disabled. This type of uploader doesn't even want to give you a chance to leave a comment.

7) Corporate-type accounts. These are big companies that upload videos, but do not have anyone authorized to handle replying to comments.

8) Website drivers. These are users that mostly use Youtube as a host for their videos. The videos are to drive traffic to their websites or they expect their embedded videos to be seen on their website.

9) Facebook drivers. These are people who only use Facebook, Twitter, etc to communicate with.

10) Pseudo-celebrity types. These are people who think they are celebrities. They find excuses why they are "too busy" to reply to even a handful of their viewers. Many of their fans actually buy into this and will defend them.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What about the fact the if the YouTuber replies to one comment then everyone wants them to reply their comment. I've seen a similar thing happen on twitter, once a big YouTuber follows a few fans, then they get spammed with hundreds of tweets saying please follow me. I'm think this would happen with comments too if the big YouTubers let it.

Reactions: NIP and fibfib

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
Or they do and you just can't see as there is so many comments?
On the comments page in the video manager you can reply to any comment on any video at any time, you could just be looking elsewhere. Note that many top channels will get hundreds to thousands of comments per day :)

The most basic one you didn't touch on is time, alot of types of videos can take hours to days to put together and if their schedule is strict to putting out many videos per week then you need to decide for example would it be better to see 3 videos and a alot of answered comments or 4 videos and not many answered comments.

Reactions: NIP

Taofledermaus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I honestly couldn't care what other youtubers are doing, too busy doing me
Then why did you even read this thread, much less reply to it?[DOUBLEPOST=1408890335,1408889960][/DOUBLEPOST]
The most basic one you didn't touch on is time, alot of types of videos can take hours to days to put together and if their schedule is strict to putting out many videos per week then you need to decide for example would it be better to see 3 videos and a alot of answered comments or 4 videos and not many answered comments.
I do not buy into the "I'm too busy" excuse. I work a full time job (graveyard shift no less) and I still make time to reply to comments.[DOUBLEPOST=1408890448][/DOUBLEPOST]
What about the fact the if the YouTuber replies to one comment then everyone wants them to reply their comment. I've seen a similar thing happen on twitter, once a big YouTuber follows a few fans, then they get spammed with hundreds of tweets saying please follow me. I'm think this would happen with comments too if the big YouTubers let it.
That may happen if the uploader only replied to a single or a few comments. People see the comment and reply to them hoping they will get a reply, rather than just making a comment and having the uploader reply to that commenter.

Shawn Parrotte

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I can see how being a big channel and having a ton of videos can harm your comment interaction. Its tough trying to keep up with them if you get a hundred or more comments daily. I try to reply back, but most of my comments are just people requesting new songs to teach, and that can get annoying. If I got more awesome and well thought out comments, of course I'd be replying more!

Reactions: JohnnyFox

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That may happen if the uploader only replied to a single or a few comments. People see the comment and reply to them hoping they will get a reply, rather than just making a comment and having the uploader reply to that commenter.
I guess. But have you seen what fan girls act like? I think this would more apply to the young male YouTubers with young female fans. Other YouTubers this probably wouldn't happen as much. But once they reply to a few comments. People would make new comments saying something along the lines of "you are the best, please see this and reply." The other day a YouTuber uploaded a video and the comments section was mostly people telling him their twitter handles and snapchat names. Apparently he told them to comment that stuff below so he could follow them. And now that I think of it a few weeks I ago a YouTuber tweeted saying he was replying to comments I went back to that video and found tons of comments telling him to reply to them.

If I ever get big on YouTube (like that will ever happen) I probably won't reply to comments it would be so hard to decide which comments to reply to and which ones to ignore. I wouldn't even know where to start and that point I feel like I would better of interacting my viewers over twitter and other platforms, and devoting more time into making better content. But then again, maybe if I ever I actually get big on YouTube maybe I will still reply to comments, I really can't say considering I am still a small channel.

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Then why did you even read this thread, much less reply to it?[DOUBLEPOST=1408890335,1408889960][/DOUBLEPOST]

I do not buy into the "I'm too busy" excuse. I work a full time job (graveyard shift no less) and I still make time to reply to comments.[DOUBLEPOST=1408890448][/DOUBLEPOST]

Because I felt like it

Weekend Noobs

If the week gets you down then join us and unwind
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With me I always feel the need to reply depending on the comment. Some people can comment with a simple closed statement which doesnt really require a reply. then I would just either read it and like it if need be. But in general I have a natural habbit or replying to eveyone. I would imagin being a huge channel though it could get tricky but I would still read through the comments and reply to most eventually. Cant say I would be able to do so straight away mind. But I cant say as im just a tiny channel at the mo haha