Tips on Creating an Appealing Channel Banner (2014)

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
Hi there, so I see alot of people asking about channel backgrounds/banners and if theirs is good, so i'm going to give you a few tips on what can make a good background, consider this like a check list, just remember there is no right or wrong answer to making a banner :)

Match the Style of your videos: if you made comedy videos for example you might want to add some funny pictures or make it bright colours, to summarize, put things in it that represents your channel/videos to let people know what your channel is about.

Have Good Contrast Between Text and Colours (sometimes): If you are putting your username in the banner or you have some kind of message you want to get across about your channel, it can be a good idea to try having good contrast between both, for example the main colors of a background is black and grey, you might want to use something yellow to make it stand out, this way the focal point of the background is the message you are trying to get across, and this doesn't just apply to text, it applies to anything. If you have your own style having text similar to the background can give a nice look too. It really depends on what kind of person you are :D

Keep to a Neat Layout: Try to keep things spaced out so that the banner doesn't look messy (unless that's what you're going for), if you are struggling deciding what to put on it, decide which is most important and use that, don't add unnecessary text or images, additional information is good but keep to the main point and if you have space then think about the other things you could include.

There are things like the avatar and links in the way so be sure to place everything in the right place. It's probably best to have the main part of the banner in the place that it can be seen by all devices. Having additonal things could be added in areas where only on the web or TV can see them. Keeps things nice and tidy :)

Make it Original: Try to make your background as original as you can, it is a good idea to develop ideas from other peoples backgrounds but don't copy from them, make your own ideas :p

File Size: Be sure to keep an eye on the size of your files! Currently the max file size for banners are 2mb, so be careful, you don't want to go making a perfect a work of art then be finding out it's too big! Normally I find that using photoshop doing "save for web" at png 24 with the second option selected works good keeping small file size but all the detail.

Take advantage of animated banners!: Recently Youtube has incorporated animated GIF banners for people to use. This is a great feature, and utilized properly can be used as a huge advantage. Good uses of animation for banners can be to show something that symbolizes your channel such as moving characters, or flashing text to show high energy to really 'sell' your channel. The possibilities are pretty much endless! Another great way to take advantage of animation is to direct users to the links on the side of the banner, having pointing arrows to the links, possibly with a side note such as 'click here to see more' or 'more cool things' etc, you get the idea :p
Youtube no longer supports gifs :(
That's all I hope this has helped you in some way, some of you might disagree with me, that is fine, you might have a different opinion on this, like I said before there is no right or wrong answer, so get out there and be creative!:D
If you have any tips, feel free to share them with us all! :)

Last edited:

SaKenMadRaj

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Also the DPI... make it around 300Dpi folks back grounds look like crap sometimes because the DPI is so low it becomes blurry once you upload it..

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
I really don't like the youtube jpg and file size restriction, but you gotta follow it, so max them out!

5arg

3n3rgy Dance Music
Reaction score
Well when I save it as a PNG it can't be less than 1 mb.. using photoshop. So unfortunately I have to save it as GIF... :(

unknown_userr433436365

Networks and GFX Expert :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I`m going to make an input on the second point because actually no, you have the same colours text as the background but stroke around the edges, the only time this isn`t really used is when going for an abstract,clean look.

Look at a big youtuber 60% of them the text is very similar in colour to the background!

unknown_userr433436365

Networks and GFX Expert :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Hi there, so I see alot of people asking about channel backgrounds and if theirs is good, so i'm going to give you a few tips on what can make a good background, but remember there is no right or wrong answer :)

Match the Style of your videos: if you made comedy videos for example you might want to add some funny pictures or make it bright colours, to summarize, put things in it that represents your channel/videos to let people know what your channel is about.

Have Good Contrast Between Text and Colours: If you are putting your username in the background or you have some kind of message you want to get across about your channel, try have good contrast between both, for example the main colors of a background is black and grey, you might want to use something yellow to make it stand out, this way the focal point of the background is the message you are trying to get across, and this doesn't just apply to text, it applies to anything.

Keep to a Neat Layout: Try to keep things spaced out so that the background doesn't look messy, if you are struggling deciding what to put on it, decide which is most important and use that, don't add unnecessary text or images, additional information is good but keep to the main point and if you have space then think about the other things you could include.

Make it Original: Try to make your background as original as you can, it is a good idea to develop ideas from other peoples backgrounds but don't copy from them, make your own ideas :p

That's all I hope this has helped you in some way, some of you might disagree with me, that is fine, you might have a different opinion on this, like I said before there is no right or wrong answer, so get out there and be creative! :D
Before posting you might have wanted to work on your own..

Theres way too many colours
The Social Icons should be the same size and possibly colour.
The subscribe button isn`t readable
It doesn`t go the width of a 1920x1280 screen

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
Before posting you might have wanted to work on your own..

Theres way too many colours
The Social Icons should be the same size and possibly colour.
The subscribe button isn`t readable
It doesn`t go the width of a 1920x1280 screen
I didn't even make my background and i'm working on my own, plus this is about how to make background better not about mine