CarlosDominguez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
what are your thoughts as a small creator about the situation due to
The FTC are imposing changes to YouTube that, as currently written, will see creators loose 90% of their income for no reason and possibly face a $42,000 fine PER VIDEO!
Plus with Youtube also banning accounts as well too according to Markiplier's new video.

Adversatrix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I predicted one day that the government would get involved. Personally, I hope this doesn't get in the way of me enjoying making content.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Wait...what? Does this have to do with ads being placed on videos children watch? :eek:

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
its my understanding that the things going on only really affect kids content or channels featuring children?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It will affect everyone. Even if you mark your channel as not for kids, if your channel has videogames or Marvel stuff or whatever else Youtube's bots will consider as for kids, the bots will think you chose wrong and switch your channel as targeting kids for you. Now if your channel is actually made for kids, you're gonna lose comments and all sorts of other features.

Tons of channels that have nothing to do with kids will suffer and pay the price. Youtube is basically saying 'our ads target kids and we're not gonna stop that, it's up to YOU to deal with it and make sure they don't watch your videos'.

I mean, why the hell do they even have Youtube Kids for? Just put some sort of lock or age restriction where if you choose you're under 13 you get sent to Youtube Kids with no way to the main site, and if the kids lie and say they are older than it's on them and their parents, not the content creators.

atomicgirl24

Reaction score
I have no thoughts whatsoever on the adpocalypse other than "Welcome to the Real World."

See, there's an issue I've always had in terms of the response to stuff like this. The current narrative is , "Woe is me; I'm just a humble small time creator trying to make a living." The problem with this line of thinking is that no matter how big or small you are, if you're planning on making a living from your videos, you're a publisher/broadcaster. Therefore, you're subject to the same rules as any other, especially when it comes to content that could be viewed by children.

At no time in history has anyone ever had it easy when it comes to this kind of stuff. The comic book industry and Saturday morning cartoons were also heavily regulated and had to deal with hits to their bottom line. So, why should any small time creator be any different?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
what are your thoughts as a small creator about the situation due to
The FTC are imposing changes to YouTube that, as currently written, will see creators loose 90% of their income for no reason and possibly face a $42,000 fine PER VIDEO!
Plus with Youtube also banning accounts as well too according to Markiplier's new video.
My thoughts are this. It is now a very dangerous time to be a Youtuber. If you are just starting out, it is ten times harder to succeed now as it was five years ago. In this new environment, reward will be minimal, growth difficult, and risk massive.

I believe one day it will work itself out. How long that will take is dependent on how willing people are to look for real solutions and not try to hold onto threads of the past. There are good solutions, but everyone shoots them down because they are not the way things used to be. As long as this continues, no one will win.

If I were just starting out, I would not invest my time into YouTube. No matter how things work out, there will be very little room in the future for the freedom of creativity that once was. YouTube has become a target every other platform loves to hate, and they have also allowed themselves to become politically divisive.

There are many other platforms in the rise, just waiting for a gap in YTs armor to take place. No one stays on top forever. YT is not an exception to this rule.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have my channels marked as not for kids. Now, we have seen these kinds of things before, I remember a few years back we all thought the copyright stuff was gonna crack down so hard all our videos would literally have to be vlogs because no other form of outside media (games, music, poster on a wall behind you, you wearing a Marvel shirt when you don't own Marvel, etc) that you don't own would be strictly not allowed. Obviously that didn't happen, so hopefully in the end, this change won't be so bad.

HOWEVER, if I see Youtube flipping the switch and changing my channel as for kids even though I clearly chose the 'not for kids' option, and I see videos about actual channels being taken down and actual small-time creators getting fined to oblivion.... I'm pulling the plug. I'll delete both channels and focus 100% on LBRY.

Reactions: OpiumSymposium

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are many other platforms in the rise, just waiting for a gap in YTs armor to take place. No one stays on top forever. YT is not an exception to this rule.
Legions of other sites are doing exactly the same thing as YouTube is doing, and have been doing so for years. They all track users, and some of those users are going to be below 13 without a doubt. YouTube is patching holes and making sure it stays within compliance for everything new that is discovered. Being copyright or this latest thing, COPPA. Thinking things are going to be any different on a new platform is absolutely wishful thinking. YouTube is top dog, and will remain so forever. They are connected to Google, and literally too big to fail.

Last round it was small content creators (1000 subscribers and 4000 hours and rampant not suitable for advertisers after "suicide forest" ring a bell?)
This time it is kid centric channels. And unfortunately bad actors are to blame here just like the previous round. Adults abusing children for monetary gain absolutely got the government involved. The child directed channels ("toy" review channels clearly directed at a 13 and up audience) will be the ones suffering. The bad actors have gotten their millions out of the platform and will simply call it quits and move on to find another cash cow.