The purpose of monetization on and off option???

oatmeal

Reaction score
I have a youtube channel that is currently monetized.
When I look at my videos section, I can see an option that says "monetization" and I can choose to have it "On" or "Off".
Why would you choose to not monetize any video?

My guess is this option allows you to post videos with high reused content that would normally get you demonetized for "reused content", but
if you decide to not monetize it, you are safe?

In other words, if I choose not to monetize videos that have high reused content (like my compilation, mashup, or re-edited videos), will this option
to turn off monetization protect the rest of my account from being demonetized for reused content or will they still penalize you for having reused content
even though you specifically set the settings to NOT monetize them?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the networks / monetization forum. :)

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I was raising money for school supplies (gave school supplies to an entire school). I did not monetize that vid. I did not want to make people sit through an ad just to hear me beg for money ha ha

I also posted my father-in-laws wake & funeral vids (for family out of country). I did not monetize those either.

As for protecting your channel, depends on the complaint? The only real problem you might face is a copyright strike (not content claim). And a strike is a strike. If your vids fall under fair use, you should be ok. I do not know how strict YT is becoming on reused content, but if a majority of your content is your own I would not worry too much.

oatmeal

Reaction score
Actually, copyright is no longer the biggest problem for youtubers. It's the easy part. Why? Copyright is clear and visible. They tell you exactly what is copyrighted, what video, and exactly where in the video, too!

So copyright is easy to deal with. Reused content is the new killer. This one is quite vague and there is no exact identification of which videos they considered as reused content and what part of the video, too. You just have to do your own guesswork and start deleting videos you think got your account demonetized for reused content.

So that's why I was wondering if you upload a video that has high reused content and you set monetization to OFF, would that protect the rest of your account from being completely demonetized? It seems that would be a smart option to have so that just because 2 or 3 videos are reused content, it shouldn't penalize the other 20 videos you have that are fully your own content and could be making you earnings.