The 10 Be's of a Successful YouTuber

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see a lot of posts on here about things you should do to grow your channel, and these things are important. But what also deserves mentioning are the qualities of a successful YouTuber. I compiled a list of qualities that one should work on to better their channel. Let's add to this in the comments as well!

1) Be-lieve in your channel.
If you don't believe in it, no one will.
2) Be self confident.
If you aren't, pretend that you are. You will get more confident in time. If you do not look confident on camera, people will not have confidence in what you have to say (see point #1).
3) Be tenacious.
People will not like your stuff. Sometimes they're even vocal about it. Brush it off, and prove them wrong! Also ask people for feedback on your channel and actually take into consideration what people have to say.
4) Be assertive (but not rude).
Don't know how to grow your channel? Find out for yourself! Do research! Read the great articles, tips, and resources on this very site. Your channel not growing? Talk to more people about your channel (without asking for anything)! Your channel is awesome (disagree?!? Didn't you read point #1?!). Seek out ways to make it even more awesome. Tell people (your friends, your followers, people on forums, your hairdresser, whomever) about it!! Because you love your channel, you should want to talk about it. You have to take the initiative when it comes to growing and improving your channel.
5) Be original.
I'm not saying don't do anything someone else has done. That's practically impossible. But don't just copy other people. Don't just parrot what others say. Don't have 0 ideas for your videos and expect other people to come up with them for you. Have some original thought!
6) Be cohesive.
I see a lot of people on here who have no idea what their channel is about or what they like so they just throw around some random content that doesn't make sense. Have a sense of self. Know what your personality is like, and know what you like to do. Think about what kind of channel you want to be. Make sure you are consistent with this throughout your creative process for all your videos.
7) Be (or become) good at editing.
People wonder why their channel is not growing even though they're promoting it, and the issue is usually this. No one wants to watch a boring video. Learning how to edit out gaps when you talk, arranging your points into an order that makes sense, adding an effect or overlay here or there, adding an end slate, etc. can make a world of difference for audience watch time and retention. Also make some visually appealing thumbnails and channel art while you're at it. :)
8) Be active.
Post videos as regularly and consistently as you're able. Post on your social media frequently as well, and reply to people's comments. It helps your viewers realize you're an alive human being, and increases your discoverability by creating more content.
9) Be likeable.
Being friendly and approachable to your viewers and having a fun personality goes a long way. A cold, uninviting, or standoffish personality closes many doors.
10) Be YOU! :)
Don't change for anyone. But also, better yourself. Youtube is great for better understanding who you are, expressing yourself, and becoming more accepting of yourself. There's already a pewdiepie, a Jenna Marbles, and so on. There's only one you. You do you!! :thumbsup2:

Last edited:

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
These are some mighty good tips for new channel makers as well as old channels!

The Cold Abyss

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Nice post and tips very well thought out! (=

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great points. I thing editing is the number one priority. I'm only 14 videos in, but try to make each video better edited than the last.