Th3 Recipe For Success!

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
This is what I think makes for a good.....

Recipe For Success!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're going to need:

2 cups of charisma - Don't be monotone, be confident, and speak up, I can't hear you in the back! Be fun to watch. Smile, and look presentable, it can't hurt. :D

2 tablespoons of preparedness - what's the video going to be about? Don't make up a movie on the spot, script it, prepare, organize your thoughts. For vlogs, know what you're trying to say. Once you're on camera, it's not time to to try and figure out what you want to say. At the very least have a general idea of the message you want to convey. For some, a script is used. That's up to you. Don't let others decide for you, if that's the way you want to go, do eet!

1 cup of quality footage - This means visually the stuff looks good, not grainy, filmed properly and steady, filming on a smart phone horizontally and not vertically, and things of that nature.

1 cup of quality sound - Make sure the sound is good, can we hear you well, music to loud or not loud enough, etc...

1 dash of consistency - Some people will only subscribe to you if you upload videos weekly, bi-weekly and/or daily. While in some cases, some channels with extremely good videos only upload a video every few weeks to months and they have large subscriber counts. Either way, the more videos you have without getting annoying, the higher your chances or getting viewed. (In theory)

1/2 a cup of uniqueness - Are you doing, the same old thing, others are doing? If so, are you doing it better? Some people instinctively subscribe to a channel on seeing one video that made them go "Wow that was awesome, unique, sweet, cool, etc..." or even better yet, "I have never in my life seen that!".

1/2 a cup of editing - Do you have a video that's 5 minutes long, but there's really only 40 seconds of it that's interesting? Cut the fluff out. The way I see it, people have short attention spans now a days. You have to get them within the first 30-60 seconds or you'll loose them. Also, if all that's differentiating you and the next guy that does vlogs, or gaming or shooting videos is a flashy intro, then get the best damn one you can get.

Then there's jump cuts. some like em' some don't. It's up to you to decide. What's your target audience? Do they watch videos with or without cuts? I like to use them a bit, but mostly to shorten the length of the video and to remove the "dead air". In the end you decide.

1 cup of collaborations - Make videos with friends, family, and other YouTubers. watching a bunch of people having fun on cam, compared to one can be much more entertaining and doing videos with other YouTubers? That's just smart.

2 teaspoons of listening - When you are growing your audience listen to them. What do they want?! Look at the comments, create a facebook page check messages. All that good stuff. Once you have listened you will then know what kind of videos they like. Keep in mind though that you are doing this for you. if you make videos only on subjects other like and you don't it'll show. So listen, but remain true to you too.

3 cups of promotions & activities - This means social medias, websites, forums, chats and even advertisement and other forms of promoting.
**Extra description brought to you by mrtoastbuster**
Tell your friends. Everyone has friends. Make your first video. Show it to your friends. Not just one friend, LOADS of them! The more you show the better! Use facebook and twitter to show your videos to people you really know!

This has two benefits:
1) Adds pressure on you to make something of a decent standard so your rep doesn't go down the drain.
2) Your friends are real people that you know and you can actually see how they react to your videos.

**WARNING**

Be very careful of spamming, annoying, interrupting, flooding, and other things of this nature. This won't get you far in this and in other communities or worst can get you banned. Don't post out of subject or context about your new video, you'll just get your post removed and you possibly banned. Instead, be active, make friends,posts and reply to others. help others with their questions. I mean from time to time mentioning your videos is ok, but don't forget other people make videos too. Show interest in other people's channels, and they'll show interest in yours. Be cool and patient and be active and you will get views, and better yet, subs.

2 healthy doses of determination/resilience and toughness. (Ingredient brought to you by Gus Monkeyton) Because sometimes YouTube is a tough place. There's also a good chance that you will encounter Trolls, and mean people that will leave mean comments, and thumbs down your videos, but you cannot let this bother you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it. Put that all into a bowl mix it up and voila! Hope that helped someone out there.

For more great tips, check out these other threads!
http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-get-more-views-on-your-youtube-videos.22993/
http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-get-not-just-subs-but-fans.7089/page-7#post-124664
http://yttalk.com/threads/tips-for-irl-videos-vlogs-skits-rants-comedy-etc.52328/
http://yttalk.com/threads/symphs-tips-for-the-opinional-vlogger.3132/

Thanks for th3 tips. Th3se seem as if th3y'll be helpful for a lot of people.

But, seriously this is all so true. Basic but still important. It's the little things people seem to forget about. Thanks for sharing! :D

Looks good. I would bump up the preparation portion though. I don't think 2 teaspoons is enough. :)
I would also add heaping helping of acting ability.

In regards to jump cuts, they are so unnecessary yet so common on vlogs. Sometimes it's so bad, it makes me feel like I'm under a strobe light in a club. If you film with various shots (close-ups, medium and long), then you can cut together the good pieces, eliminate the boring spots and still make it look professional by just varying the shots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(filmmaking)

I don't have a problem with jump cuts really. It's a tad bit annoying when it's every other word and the person is jumping all across the screen though. Other than that, they add a pretty cool vibe to most videos, and can present ideas in a more concise, interesting way. I like a nice edited video because it shows the person put some work and effort into their work. Also to me preparation is important but for some they like to be spontaneous so I suppose it depends on the person. I agree with all of the other points in Stuffs post.

Guys, can you tell me if this is a jump cut this guy uses?
I find myself really liking videos that are edited like this one.

Great post Stuffy, I have stickied this, now I am off cook myself a batch of Th3 Success!
hahaha nice!
Thanks for th3 tips. Th3se seem as if th3y'll be helpful for a lot of people.

But, seriously this is all so true. Basic but still important. It's the little things people seem to forget about. Thanks for sharing! :D
Glad you liked it Stef!

Looks good. I would bump up the preparation portion though. I don't think 2 teaspoons is enough. :)
I would also add heaping helping of acting ability.

In regards to jump cuts, they are so unnecessary yet so common on vlogs. Sometimes it's so bad, it makes me feel like I'm under a strobe light in a club. If you film with various shots (close-ups, medium and long), then you can cut together the good pieces, eliminate the boring spots and still make it look professional by just varying the shots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(filmmaking)

Well the amounts were more for fun. lol besides in the world of YouTube, a lot of unprepared and random videos have gone on to become very popular and viral. It all depends on what the video will be. If it's a movie type video, yeah no doubt will lots of prep help you out, but if it's a small rant or trick or whatnot it doesn't always need to be prepared as much. but yeah, more can't hurt in a recipe like this. It's like the chocolate chips in chocolate chip cookie recipes, you can always add more!!! muahahahah!!!

Back