t3i noisy footage

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I keep seeing people on youtube get so much good quality shots with this camera but no matter how many lights i use or how wide open my aperture is, as long as i try to keep contrast in the shot it becomes noisy like this i really dont like it and would love some advice as to how i could fix this?? i know now it looks like its fine but just open it in a new tab and zoom in and you will se what im
referring to

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have a Canon Rebel EOS T6 (I think) and my quality is kinda bad too. I'm hoping I didn't just sink almost 800 for poopy quality.... I have to work with lighting more myself. Do you have professional lighting?

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Also a T3i owner. Just upgraded today funny enough. That camera just is really noisey on anything above ISO 600 I would say.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My rebel seems that way too. So I might go get some flood lights and just brighten the apartment up lol. If I even touch the ISO, it goes crazy. I need to get reacquainted with that stuff too. I was starting to learn it and then gave up for a while.

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My rebel seems that way too. So I might go get some flood lights and just brighten the apartment up lol. If I even touch the ISO, it goes crazy. I need to get reacquainted with that stuff too. I was starting to learn it and then gave up for a while.
i use two led lights and one softbox and my iso is on 320 ML, and i still get noise a lot, i watch simon cade dslrguide and he uses a t3i and gets footage thats nothing like this, he is using hacks i believe, i really would like to upgrade to a g7 but people always say invest more money in lights and lenses so theres that

Reactions: daniel burgio

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's a video frame grab from my t2i at about 800iso, f2.0, lit with an overhead kitchen light that had 3 60w incandescent bulbs and a 1x1 LED to fill his face...

You can actually see both lights in his eyes.

I think you're exposure is way, way too low. Jack it up. I can't even see that picture. If you're hitting 2.8 on the exposure (aperture) or lower and it's still dark, you'll have to light it stronger.

It's all in the lighting.

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's a video frame grab from my t2i at about 800iso, f2.0, lit with an overhead kitchen light that had 3 60w incandescent bulbs and a 1x1 LED to fill his face...

You can actually see both lights in his eyes.

I think you're exposure is way, way too low. Jack it up. I can't even see that picture. If you're hitting 2.8 on the exposure (aperture) or lower and it's still dark, you'll have to light it stronger.

It's all in the lighting.
I have went back and brighten up the scene a bit but im still getting noise, tell me is this still underexposed, because i really dont want to fill the shot up with light and have no contrast anywhere

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have went back and brighten up the scene a bit but im still getting noise, tell me is this still underexposed, because i really dont want to fill the shot up with light and have no contrast anywhere
It certainly looks better. If that exposure is what you're trying to end up with, another option to reduce noise is to shoot it with a little more light (or open up the exposure up a bit) then in editing, take the brightness back down to desired levels. You'll get cleaner shadows. This is called ETTR (Wikipedia "exposing to the right"). If it's still noisy you'll have to throw a bit of light where it's noisy to prevent the blacks from getting crushed. Unfortunately, our t-line of Canon cameras don't have the best dynamic range so we've got to work harder to make the image shine.

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It certainly looks better. If that exposure is what you're trying to end up with, another option to reduce noise is to shoot it with a little more light (or open up the exposure up a bit) then in editing, take the brightness back down to desired levels. You'll get cleaner shadows. This is called ETTR (Wikipedia "exposing to the right"). If it's still noisy you'll have to throw a bit of light where it's noisy to prevent the blacks from getting crushed. Unfortunately, our t-line of Canon cameras don't have the best dynamic range so we've got to work harder to make the image shine.
So your saying on the side where this is light add more light but dont overexpose it

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So your saying on the side where this is light add more light but dont overexpose it
If you add more light to one side, you'll change the contrast ratio. Not sure if that's what you want to do. If you like the contrast ratio, then you either have to increase exposure on your camera or increase lighting everywhere (bright side, shadow side, and background) by the same amount. So if you can increase the exposure in camera, this becomes much easier.