Suspended for unlisted video of my son's tonsil

jgspratt

Reaction score
I was trying to send a video of my son's tonsil (which looked swollen to me) to show his allergist because he couldn't get a good view on our teladoc appointment. I uploaded it to youtube as an unlisted video. YT took it down saying it was a violation of community guidelines, and I requested a review (thinking it must have been a simple error of an AI thinking that a tonsil was something else, but the video clearly shows it's just a mouth).

Then I got suspended under the category of sexualizing a minor.

It's literally just my son saying "Ahhh". He's fully clothed--just sitting there opening his mouth, and nothing and no one touches him, etc. There was no coercion or anything I could imagine being remotely objectionable.

There are other videos of children having their tonsils inspected on YT. They are easy to find if you search.

I can't believe my entire history, all my subscriptions, my YT Music, everything was taken away for something so innocent.

I filed the appeal and wrote up why I thought I shouldn't be banned. Nothing back yet 24 hours later.

It's hard to describe how it feels to be suspended for life. I feel shaky. It's hard to concentrate. I feel like I've been found guilty of child abuse and there's no one I can talk to. I was just trying to help my son and I thought I was being totally safe about it.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
The YouTube Team doesn't actually respond on that forum; but Product Experts as I mentioned, can escalate a case which has merit to YouTube Admin.

The child containing content algorithms have been set a bit sensitive since the COPPA agreement between YouTube and the FTC; but the fact you don't yet have an answer to your appeal is actually encouraging.

Most appeal rejections happen within seconds to minutes of being filed.

jgspratt

Reaction score
Thanks. That's good to hear.

What's the appropriate way to get the attention of a Product Expert?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@agrohimhfq

Could you please start a thread of your own instead of hijacking someone else's thread? When you do so you should state the Admin you seek to reach.

@jgspratt

The best way to get the attention of a Product Expert is to tag them in your post title.

I suggest that you find an issue being answered by a PE which is similar to yours; then use their handle in the title of your post asking for a review of your appeal if it has been answered.

Unfortunately, if your appeal has neither been accepted or rejected, there is nothing they can do until a decision has been reached on your appeal.

MyLumoLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
jgspratt, such a terrible thing to have happened. I hope that it gets sorted in your favour soon. We are all at the mercy of an uncaring, error-prone algorithm! Hopefully a human being will see your appeal and make the right decision.

jgspratt

Reaction score
Thanks, MyLumoLife!

Any ideas on how to get them to stop billing my YouTube Premium account? I just got billed again, but I can't login to change the billing settings or unsubscribe from YouTube Premium. I figure as long as I'm banned, they shouldn't charge me.

jgspratt

Reaction score
Well, I engaged with their @TeamYouTube account on Twitter, and they said they decided to keep my account suspended. I'm baffled. Would I now be able to escalate this to a Product Expert somehow?