Suspended for unlisted video of my son's tonsil

jgspratt

I was trying to send a video of my son's tonsil (which looked swollen to me) to show his allergist because he couldn't get a good view on our teladoc appointment. I uploaded it to youtube as an unlisted video. YT took it down saying it was a violation of community guidelines, and I requested a review (thinking it must have been a simple error of an AI thinking that a tonsil was something else, but the video clearly shows it's just a mouth).

Then I got suspended under the category of sexualizing a minor.

It's literally just my son saying "Ahhh". He's fully clothed--just sitting there opening his mouth, and nothing and no one touches him, etc. There was no coercion or anything I could imagine being remotely objectionable.

There are other videos of children having their tonsils inspected on YT. They are easy to find if you search.

I can't believe my entire history, all my subscriptions, my YT Music, everything was taken away for something so innocent.

I filed the appeal and wrote up why I thought I shouldn't be banned. Nothing back yet 24 hours later.

It's hard to describe how it feels to be suspended for life. I feel shaky. It's hard to concentrate. I feel like I've been found guilty of child abuse and there's no one I can talk to. I was just trying to help my son and I thought I was being totally safe about it.

The YouTube Team doesn't actually respond on that forum; but Product Experts as I mentioned, can escalate a case which has merit to YouTube Admin.

The child containing content algorithms have been set a bit sensitive since the COPPA agreement between YouTube and the FTC; but the fact you don't yet have an answer to your appeal is actually encouraging.

Most appeal rejections happen within seconds to minutes of being filed.

@agrohimhfq

Could you please start a thread of your own instead of hijacking someone else's thread? When you do so you should state the Admin you seek to reach.

@jgspratt

The best way to get the attention of a Product Expert is to tag them in your post title.

I suggest that you find an issue being answered by a PE which is similar to yours; then use their handle in the title of your post asking for a review of your appeal if it has been answered.

Unfortunately, if your appeal has neither been accepted or rejected, there is nothing they can do until a decision has been reached on your appeal.

jgspratt, such a terrible thing to have happened. I hope that it gets sorted in your favour soon. We are all at the mercy of an uncaring, error-prone algorithm! Hopefully a human being will see your appeal and make the right decision.

Thanks, MyLumoLife!

Any ideas on how to get them to stop billing my YouTube Premium account? I just got billed again, but I can't login to change the billing settings or unsubscribe from YouTube Premium. I figure as long as I'm banned, they shouldn't charge me.

Well, I engaged with their @TeamYouTube account on Twitter, and they said they decided to keep my account suspended. I'm baffled. Would I now be able to escalate this to a Product Expert somehow?

Back