Superheroes IRL (in real life) are the new get rich-quick scheme on Youtube ?

TimothyParker

Reaction score
Since a few months ago I've seen some weird videos trending in some countries with people dressing in Siderman, Elsa and other of the Disney or Marvel characters and pretending to play some scenes. At first I didn't pay attention to them because I just thought that are 2 or 3 channels dedicated to children. But in the last week I started to analyze the "trend" and what I found is mind blowing. Maybe all this time I've been blind to the YouTube environment outside my area but in this is just unbelievable.

Here is one of the channels I'm talking about: channel/ToyMonsterChannel/about ;
Joined Jul 8, 2014, 898,918 subscribers • 1,127,197,341 views
And this channel has blown in the last 3-4 month: search on socialblade: toymonsterchannel Only in the last month is has +370M views and 310k subscribers.

Another, more recent created channel: channel/UCVUJ3EQrG0GNgGjC7xNu2zQ/about ; Joined Dec 3, 2015; 328,189 subscribers • 256,632,365 views
socialblade: UCVUJ3EQrG0GNgGjC7xNu2zQ

This one is only 2-3 weeks old and has 103,638 subscribers • 33,931,365 views ; Joined Mar 18, 2016 ;
channel/UCHFFht_69CvIWDMnJoocrJQ/about

And there are dozens, even hundreds of this channels. And the videos they post are, in my best opinion, of very poor quality. There all click bait stories for children.

Now the big question: How is this so popular ?
The answer is: YouTube is promoting them in different countries in the Trending or Most Popular sections. Here are some examples:
Thailand: channel/UCBLGfSeyU52VOqZLhIm0xmg
Belgium: channel/UCEWwGkuV8dJgpxWLuteMYLA
Jordan: channel/UC9NIH09HrWsb5ON9abCq5Qg
Malaysia: channel/UC9NIH09HrWsb5ON9abCq5Qg
Portugal: channel/UCbAuF8Ehbt9rzvG7iutASbA
etc...

Just take a look at this:
Spiderman & Frozen Elsa vs Joker! w/ Pink Spidergirl Anna & Batman! Superhero Fun in Real Life :) (search that on YouTube) or paste watch?v=Jiji_1iosv4
Posted 6 days ago, has 40m views and is all just crappy acting, no words, no nothing.

Their success is based on YouTube promoting them in trending section and using the promoted videos suggested videos section.

From what I've seen this is by far the fastest, get rich quick scheme on YouTube. And it's also relatively safe. There is no Vine compilation where, you get a strike or someone could buy one of the 6 second videos and take all of the earnings. There is no Top5 or 10 or 7 where you could get a strike even if you use a picture. There is no game play where, like the previous get strike or loose monetization.
The only thing that can go wrong is Marvel or Disney will claim the videos because they own the characters, but that is unlikely.

Now, the questions to you:
Have you seen this trend ? And what do you think about it ?

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You are forgetting that the main audiance of YouTube is small kids. What you see is completely normal and to be expected with such kind of audiance.

There are other more disturbing things on YouTube but they are not for open forum.

Reactions: Scapestrato

PatrickLongChen

Reaction score
There were a few kids who tried to partner up with me, and most of them would review toys and such. I typically draw or sketch in my videos, so that fits pretty well.

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I actually haven't heard about this before. I knew FouseyTube's video with him dressed up as Spiderman got massive hits from all the younger audience but this does appear to be a pretty strong trend

TimothyParker

Reaction score
You are forgetting that the main audiance of YouTube is small kids. What you see is completely normal and to be expected with such kind of audiance.

There are other more disturbing things on YouTube but they are not for open forum.
I refuse to believe that dozens of millions of kids watch this crap every day. What I believe is that they use bots to spike the views to get on trending and suggested videos.
Also they manipulate the text. If you look at the description you'll see that is all spam. The same 10-15 words repeating over and over.
Spiderman & Frozen Elsa vs Joker! w/ Pink Spidergirl Anna & Batman! Superhero Fun in Real Life :) (search that on YouTube) or paste /watch?v=Jiji_1iosv4

The video that @Redford1900 shared its pretty good in trying to explain this garbage.

"There are other more disturbing things on YouTube"
Yes I agree, but this is also disturbing and how long until they'll do a video with the title: Spiderman & Frozen Elsa vs Joker! PRANK Gone SEXUAL
They already have Spiderman pi*sing in a video
Spiderman, Frozen Elsa & Anna Vs Olaf! - Elsa Stolen - Fun Superhero Movie In Real Life (search that on YouTube) or paste /watch?v=tdeZ3W5bP2A

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I refuse to believe that dozens of millions of kids watch this crap every day
Unfortunately you have to. We did unintentional experiment with our 4-5 years old son. He was usually starting with something decent but unsupervised he would end up within an hour or less in some cr@p like this. Thumbnail clickbait tagged with some mega-popular superheroes and voila - you are the "king" of YouTube. The content of the video is irrelevant as far as it has some remote connection with the main subject.
Toddlers and small kids rule supreme YouTube. Control them -and you'll control YouTube. :D

TimothyParker

Reaction score
Unfortunately you have to. .... Thumbnail clickbait tagged with some mega-popular superheroes and voila - you are the "king" of YouTube. The content of the video is irrelevant as far as it has some remote connection with the main subject.
Toddlers and small kids rule supreme YouTube. Control them -and you'll control YouTube. :D
I'm not saying that you're point is not right. But it's much more to it. Zachzy Games tries to explain this scheme very good in his latest video: /watch?v=Xj33gZDObOo (paste in yt url) "The Case Against Toy Monster"

He says that one of this channels "Toy Monster" losses twice the subscribers and views of what pewdiepie losses when YouTube does their adjustments. Just watch Zachzy Games video.

Here is a another channel Animated Surprise Eggs TV (paste after yt URL: /channel/UC1C0x6WPqAavZoja1Qga-uw/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=da) that was doing animated videos for toddlers and had gain 237k subscribers and 220M views over the last year. But now they started to do Spiderman, Elsa ... videos (paste after yt URL: /channel/UC1C0x6WPqAavZoja1Qga-uw/videos ) and they have a few views on those.

Keep in mind what I said about Animated Surprise Eggs TV latest videos, how do you explain that a 3 weeks old channel SuperheroesPictures (paste after yt URL: /channel/UCHFFht_69CvIWDMnJoocrJQ/about) can start from 0 to 60M views in a matter of days, and a year old channel with 200k subs that tries to do the same thing doesn't get at least 1M views ?

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Toddlers and small kids rule supreme YouTube. Control them -and you'll control YouTube.
Do you know of any news articles or other sources of info. It's disconcerting about how much young kids use the Internet. I would like to be prepared as I've become a great aunt recently and will eventually become a grandparent. I had thought about trying to figure out how to tap the kid market in YouTube, but I don't want to feel like I'm exploiting kids.