Storage suggestions for large quantities of video? TB3 local vs 10gbe LAN

Tiger72

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for storing video (around 10TB and growing).

I use a Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro X. Not a pro -- just processing large quantities of sports footage.

I had thought about buying a Thunderbolt 3 RAID but am hesitant for 2 reasons: 1) no great reviews of any until I get into very high priced units (I'd like to spend around $1000-$1500), 2) sound -- I would like my work area quiet.

I currently have a Synology NAS that has worked flawlessly for years. I thought about upgrading it to a 6 bay model with a PCIe slot I can use for 10 GBit Ethernet. Then get a Thunderbolt 3 to 10gbe adapter for the Mac and just use the Synology for video storage across a 10gbe link. The added benefit is the Synology is in a data closet -- it can be as loud as it wants and I won't hear it.

I have been just editing a project or two locally on the 2TB SSD in the Macbook, and offload to the NAS as needed. However, I transferred a 600GB project the other day, and even at 1Gbit Ethernet, it took hours. IDEALLY, I just do everything on a NAS and leave it there, but I don't know if the performance would be acceptable with all the I/O with Final Cut Pro.

Thoughts about local TB3 local RAID vs. LAN 10gbe NAS for video work?