some question about videos to make money on youtube

vinny7

Reaction score
so hello guys i am wondering if it is possible to make money from videos like this :

of course with royality free music, would i be able to make mney on them?

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I doubt it. the movies that you are working with are copyrighted works and I'm not sure if making a "music video" with them would count as transformative in this case.
It might work, but you would most likely have to counter dispute a copyright claim and cross your fingers that the copyright holder agrees or else it's going to be a lawsuit. Even if you are in the right, the lawsuit would cost a lot to prove that it's fair use.

1612048878750.png
I am
NOT a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice
1612048878750.png

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd like to slightly amend my previous comments.
If you are very confident you are cleared under fair use then you might get away with no issue.
also if you get a copyright strike, you could file a counter notification and that may very well be the end of it.
I don't want to scare you out of making what you love, just hope you do the research before posting it and
definitely before attempting to monetize it.

the issue is that if whether or not it is fair use is ambiguous, as these music videos are to me, you might have to defend your content against a strike.
Whether or not that is worth it is up to you. I realize many youtubers
seemingly get away with it, but again whether or not it's worth it is up to you.
In the example you shared, the video might count as
transformative, BUT the songs in them are also copyrighted and I can't see how the songs would be counted as fair use.

To avoid being a total hypocritic - I'd like to mention that I've also created similar music video style video with anime footage (Anime Music Videos aka AMV) I haven't posted any of them to my YouTube channel... yet

1612048878750.png
I am
NOT a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice
1612048878750.png