So. Exactly how long is the ideal comedic beat?

Channel Zero

Reaction score
Hi gang, specific question about editing. Does anyone have a good formula for exactly how long the ideal comedic beat is (in editing)? I know the standard response is it depends on your material, your delivery, sure I know that. But in general, when you're editing a video and there's a gag or punchline, how much silence or reaction time do you give it before continuing with the footage?

Maybe later today, or tomorrow depending on how slow my computer is, I'll upload an unlisted private vid for your review. It's a behind-the-scenes look at a band that's attempting to play "the impossible song" and there's a ton of amusing banter, but since everyone's often talking at the same time, I need to space the dialogue out through editing. If you know what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear your tips, tricks and experiences with what works.

EDIT - I just realized the video I'm doing is Part 2 of an existing video I have. Here is Part 1 which sets the tone and style (crits welcome but gimme a lot of leeway, it was one of my first attempts at editing dialogue)!