Snowball Ice Microphone // Sounds Muffled + Low Volume

Xenoclix

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a new Snowball Ice Microphone today for my son and put it into my laptop to setup. It "works", as it gets detected and i can record voice on it and so forth in OBS + Audacity.

The issue is (and i think it seems to be a common problem) is that the microphone is quite low/quiet when talking into it whilst the overall quality if muffled and sounds high Bass.

I have tried several internet "fixes" such as sound settings volume to 100 (was set to 95 previously) and upping the quality to DVD (was CD before - as i know some had telephone)

Also tried Voice meter and the VB cable plugin - that totally destroyed the quality overall (tried several preset ups)

I have upped the DB in OBS to +5-+7 which helps a little bit but still quite low and quality is shocking still.

I have tried the common delete the device and reinstall it - doesn't do it and sounds the same.

Running out of ideas - are there any other programs or things i could do. I think there was a couple other methods i tried but forgot. Been at it all day and its getting exhausting haha.

Thanks all!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hey all,

I bought a new Snowball Ice Microphone today for my son and put it into my laptop to setup. It "works", as it gets detected and i can record voice on it and so forth in OBS + Audacity.

The issue is (and i think it seems to be a common problem) is that the microphone is quite low/quiet when talking into it whilst the overall quality if muffled and sounds high Bass.

I have tried several internet "fixes" such as sound settings volume to 100 (was set to 95 previously) and upping the quality to DVD (was CD before - as i know some had telephone)

Also tried Voice meter and the VB cable plugin - that totally destroyed the quality overall (tried several preset ups)

I have upped the DB in OBS to +5-+7 which helps a little bit but still quite low and quality is shocking still.

I have tried the common delete the device and reinstall it - doesn't do it and sounds the same.

Running out of ideas - are there any other programs or things i could do. I think there was a couple other methods i tried but forgot. Been at it all day and its getting exhausting haha.

Thanks all!

Hi

Can you try the "normalization" feature in Audacity (in post production) ?

More info:

Qwikstreet

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think we have the same mic. Is the ice the one with no switch or buttons on the back? I have the same issues with my low end snowball mic. I still have to fiddle with the settings and it still is not right. Unfortunately for me it changes depending on what software I am using to record or stream. Right now everything goes through Voicemeeter Banana but not with anything extensive set up on it. I use it because its a lot better than what basic Windows sound can do.

Streamlabs OBS and kdenlive have the worse quality with my current settings in Voicemeeter. Audacity and OBS is a lot better.

What is your son looking to use the mic for? Is it going to be for recording or streaming or is it just for Discord and in-game chat?