Should your channel be a niche, or variety?

JayWood2010

Reaction score
My channel is about video games as I'm very passionate about them. The problem is, I literally play anything and everything. I like to talk about the most recent news, and i do reviews for games as well. I've not done any let's play videos, and I'm unsure if I want to do that.

So my question is, is gaming as a whole too broad?

Dibesto Blessudo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most people agree that it is better to aim for a niche first and then broaden it so you the creator and your audience don't get tired. But at the end of the day, we should experiment and find out what works best for us and our audience.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
is gaming as a whole too broad?
Short answer: Yes.

For one there is A LOT of competition among gaming channels, just because of the sheer numbers of them and with all of them doing such similar things. You should establish what you want to share with your audience. Do you make tutorials, share tips, show first impressions of games, have generic play through with or without commentary, do you do speed runs?
It would help to establish an audience if you stick with one game, but this can be very restrictive. Just ask @GameVestment about it. However, even if you want to play multiple games, it's better to do one genre: platformers, first person shooter, mystery games, puzzle games, nintendo games, xbox exclusives, etc, etc.

You might be wondering why you have to choose when there is so much you like and the answer is simple: Your audience won't like everything. I really don't like FPS games, but love watching platformers. I watch tutorials for games I don't even play, because I find them more interesting and engaging then play throughs of that same game. Your audience needs to know what to expect from you. If you post a Apex tutorial one day, people will subscribe hoping for more of that specific game or type of content. But if you then do a Ace Attorney playthrough, these viewers will be disappointed and unsubscribe again. And vice versa, obviously.

You need to be consistent in your content to be of value for your audience. At least pick a type of game/genre you stick to and ideally also figure out what your video has to offer as value: entertainment, education, immersive play, etc. If you just want to play and upload whatever you want, that's also fine. But just know that it will be much harder to build an audience and the whole reason for sharing your gameplay is for people to see it.

Reactions: Ater and Dave2017

vedwards

Reaction score
Definitely niche. It's the only way to stand out in a saturated market because most industries or disciplines are highly competitive. There's just too many people online doing similar things. So definitely put yourself into a niche category and find a new, fresh approach to your audience's problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mix it up :) that´s my advice anyways. I do it and it works fine:up2:

Just dont expect to go viral,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'd recommend new channels to try and concentrate on one niche subject and become an authority in it rather than trying to be a Jack of all trades. :)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I agree that trying to focus on a small segment especially starting out helps. preferably a less saturated section of the market if you can.

Reaction score
Me and my friend do gaming news and we would definitely love to do some kind of collab with you or something of the sort. We're trying to get a capture card as well to do gameplay but until then sticking to the news. Just message me back and I'll shoot a link to our channel or anything else you need.

ttxela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My videos are pretty scattered, I do motorhoming/travel videos, vehicle repair videos, hillwalking videos, underground exploration videos, airbrushing videos and the odd workshop project series.

I figure I still have a niche with my demographic though since my audience is almost exclusively male and middle aged.

Reaction score
if anything else we could always do a double shoutout or something of that nature. Like pick a day and we shout each others channels out. Any help at all would be tremendous.