Should I follow my dreams even if my parents are against it?

Alex2Tall

Reaction score
So i've been doing YouTube for about 4 months and I have 428 subscribers. This is great and all, and this might come off a bit greedy, but I want MORE. I am a very humble person and I feel like there is so much I could offer to the YouTube community. The only problem is, my parents are totally against my YouTube channel and give me no time at all to make my videos. I am not allowed to go play basketball (which is the type of channel I want) and it's a struggle to do anything else. I feel like my channel is dying because I am stuck doing reaction videos inside the house :(
Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kevinboston7

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello, and welcome to the forums! :) I've moved this to the strategy / tchnique advice discussion forum. ^_^

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I wonder why they are keeping you to stay inside, instead of going out and play sports!
Are they forcing you to do your homework as well?
You should follow your dreams, but also have a back up plan if it doesn´t work out!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Any advice?

Explain to them why you like making videos and all the skills you're developing: Editing, filming, audio, internet marketing, computer skills, communication skills and how making videos increases your confidence. Then try to negotiate with your parents - You'll do some chores or give priority to schoolwork if they will accord you several hours per week to make videos. They have probably heard all the recent negative news stories about Youtubers and they just need to be reassured that you're not doing stupid stuff like tide pod challenges.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
Since we don't know your age, here is my opinion. If you're still young your parents are trying to protect you. Things outside lately are rough and a lot of parents worry about the safety of their children and maybe they know something you don't know that is appearing in the news. They may also don't want you recording outside considering there is a lot of bad people watching videos and tend to stalk youtubers and stuff like that that worries them.

Now, never give up on your dreams, sit down and talk to them. It can be scary to talk to your parents about a lot of things but is better to talk with them. Find a solution to the problem :) I know you can do it.

kevinboston7

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So i've been doing YouTube for about 4 months and I have 428 subscribers. This is great and all, and this might come off a bit greedy, but I want MORE. I am a very humble person and I feel like there is so much I could offer to the YouTube community. The only problem is, my parents are totally against my YouTube channel and give me no time at all to make my videos. I am not allowed to go play basketball (which is the type of channel I want) and it's a struggle to do anything else. I feel like my channel is dying because I am stuck doing reaction videos inside the house :(
Any advice?
Yes go for it dont about what they think for now although they should be your biggest supporters from what you're telling us they seem to be your biggest detractors a lot of people have been extremely successful on YouTube and in other ways acting singing and so on I think it's actually more coming for parents to be against the idea of whatever you do and whatever you want to do if you like making videos to keep doing because on one hand if your Channel never becomes successful your parents will say I told you so and it'll just be embarrassing for you on the other hand if it blows up and you become a massively successful you get to tell your parents I told you so don't stop doing it just cuz people don't like it you will find people who do like it and if your parents see it's going well they may start to like it too and become extremely proud of your success ok here's a famous non YouTuber related example William Shatner's dad who won William Shatner to work in the family grocery store but William Shatner decided to move to New York City to be on Broadway and pursue acting instead and today William Shatner is one of the most famous and successful actors ever there's a good example now I'm not saying you have to move to New York City or become an actor but that's just a show you you can have parents who disagree with what you do and you would still become successful the support of your parents is not necessary most of the time for great success I say as long as what you're doing is not illegal keep at it and you have a good shot good luck

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
if you're still relying on them to live, which I assume you are, it's their rules until you decide to move out and do your own thing. it sucks but you're just going to have to deal with it until you're able to be financially independent, if you choose that route.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Any advice?
That's great growth in 4 months. With the press doing what they do with Jake Paul, PewDiePie and all of the other scandals your parents probably don't know that YouTube is actually great and will help you in so many ways if you take it seriously (with being comfortable in front of the camera, editing skills, time management, branding and all of that). I think you should just have a discussion about it with them to understand why they don't like it and then you can clear their doubts.