Should I delete old videos that are not doing well?

TheRafter

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, I've been told that if you have old videos on your channel that are poor quality and don't get views, that will affect how your newer videos do. I don't know how true this is, but should I go back and privatize all my old videos that have done poorly? Would that help anything out? I just don't seem to be getting very far, but I put in a lot of effort.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I dunno. I can't speak to whether they hurt the algorithm but I'd leave them up as a archive of where you've come from. I would think that YT has a "what have you done for me lately" model so they wouldn't ding you for old videos that get no play. But what do I know.

Put your channel in your profile so we can check it out and take a look at them.

TheRafter

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dunno. I can't speak to whether they hurt the algorithm but I'd leave them up as a archive of where you've come from. I would think that YT has a "what have you done for me lately" model so they wouldn't ding you for old videos that get no play. But what do I know.

Put your channel in your profile so we can check it out and take a look at them.
Done! The youtube algorith is something to be reconed with.

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So - i did and plan to again, prune older content that is no longer accurate. other than loosing the watch hours counting towards monetisation, for me, i see it as important to keeping my channel relevant.

kallendiggs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't do it. Why not update the thumbnail, tags, and/or rewrite the title or description? I have heard some older videos do well when a certain topic is trending. I believe having more videos will increase your discoverability.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I guess it also depends on your content. If you are selling yourself as an educator and teaching people to do something - to me then it makes sense to trim those old videos where you didn't know as much. Since my videos are just my adventures, I don't mind leaving the older stuff. It's cool seeing how much better my videos are now. And in a few years hopefully I'll feel the same about the videos I'm making now.

Dr. Rajive Bhatia

Reaction score
I have also been thinking about this, how about just making a video private so that it is not visible to general masses?

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've erased a lot of older videos. When deciding if I should delete another I ask:
Is the video of a lower quality than what I post now?
Has the video generated any interest/views?
Regardless of the video's quality and success, does the video tell part of my story/experiences?

If the answers are yes/no/no, then I am tossing it. I'm still upgrading often.