Sharing your channel with friends and family?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello all! I've very recently started my channel and I am worried about sharing my content with my friends.. I've only shown my closest friend and my parents, but for some reason I'm nervous about posting about my video on my social media.

How did you guys go about this? Did you even share your channel on your personal YouTube? What do you recommend for getting over the "fear" (more like a self conscious anxiety thing) of sharing with those you are personally close with?

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Honestly, it's never been an issue for me - my content is educational and so I never felt like I had anything to "hide", if you will.
I imagine it was probably easier in that I have two brothers also doing YouTube, so it's not really that new a thing in our family. Plus, a lot of my friends are YouTubers and have their own little followings, so I knew they'd be a lot more supportive and understanding.

Sir Stellar

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello all! I've very recently started my channel and I am worried about sharing my content with my friends.. I've only shown my closest friend and my parents, but for some reason I'm nervous about posting about my video on my social media.

How did you guys go about this? Did you even share your channel on your personal YouTube? What do you recommend for getting over the "fear" (more like a self conscious anxiety thing) of sharing with those you are personally close with?
I just simply shared it and hoped for the best XD. My channel is just me telling life stories, so there was nothing to be ashamed of. I only got roasted several times by my friends XD but they support my channel.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

Inspirare

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My content started off as purely educational content (without my face in them). I posted it from my personal social media platforms into closed university groups (relevant ones, that is). My friends know about it and are pretty chill about it. My past few videos have me in them, and I didn't want to be too overbearing on my personal social media accounts so I made a Facebook page and invited my friends to like it. Those who checked it out and liked it will now see the new videos I make and those who aren't interested won't be spammed. Overall, I think it's not a bad idea to try and overcome your fears!

RiffRaff

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
It's going to tell you information about your friends and family, I think that's what most people are really scared off, having to accept some of their family are d*cks. I would say do it, if I was your family I'd give you my honest feedback but support you because I claim to love you.

We make very dark content and my family seem to love it :)

Bow2WildChicken

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Friends and family are super important. My friends and family have helped out a lot by sharing nearly every video i post. Even though they dont like lets plays, someone on their social media might. If that one person does, they may not have ever found me if they didnt. :) Most of all, dont be nervous! If you get a million subscribers tomorrow, im sure they would see your content somewhere!

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

As the picture says... Simple isn't it? True friends will support you no matter what you do (OK, within reason...)

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I just simply shared it and hoped for the best XD. My channel is just me telling life stories, so there was nothing to be ashamed of. I only got roasted several times by my friends XD but they support my channel.
Good to know! Maybe I should do the same.. Just go for it :p

Reactions: Sir Stellar

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score

As the picture says... Simple isn't it? True friends will support you no matter what you do (OK, within reason...)
Hahaha love this reply! You're absolutely right, true friends will support you, the rest can go ..watch something else[DOUBLEPOST=1468454800,1468454685][/DOUBLEPOST]
Friends and family are super important. My friends and family have helped out a lot by sharing nearly every video i post. Even though they dont like lets plays, someone on their social media might. If that one person does, they may not have ever found me if they didnt. :) Most of all, dont be nervous! If you get a million subscribers tomorrow, im sure they would see your content somewhere!
Hey thanks for the reply.. My mom definitely shared it with her friends I guess I'm just worried about what old schoolmates, and other people may thing.. Nothing to be ashamed of I guess, those who like it, great.. Those who don't, oh well![DOUBLEPOST=1468455370][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's going to tell you information about your friends and family, I think that's what most people are really scared off, having to accept some of their family are d*cks. I would say do it, if I was your family I'd give you my honest feedback but support you because I claim to love you.

We make very dark content and my family seem to love it :)
You're definitely right, my nervousness comes from not knowing what reactions to expect from those I really care about.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm such a show-off (I've been doing theater for so long that I announce everything I do that's remotely performance-related) that my friends and family were the first to see my channel. I'm a little bit more coy with my co-workers, but the people on my team all know about my channel, and they....well, I'm not sure if they like it, per se, but they indulge me when I tell them about a new video. :)