SEO for your YouTube videos

Chef Kendra

Chef and Video Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use almost every SEO technique I come across. This is a well written piece that will surely help out anyone willing to put the work in, so thank you for taking the time to write that up. :) As a matter of fact, AJBB (a member here) offers an free Ebook with just the kind of advice you just described.

However, I do want to add that being active on social media does help, and good content is important. It all works together, although I understand your frustration with the exclusion of SEO decisions around the forum.

Reactions: Frankie Turner

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
However, I do want to add that being active on social media does help, and good content is important. It all works together, although I understand your frustration with the exclusion of SEO decisions around the forum.
Oh, certainly! But I would describe it like this:
The content of your video is the cornerstone of your house. If you don't have it, no matter what you do, the house won't hold. But having JUST that, won't get you a house in the first place. Content and SEO is the same. Without solid content, SEO results will be poor. But without solid SEO, no one is going to view your awesome content in the first place.

DiabolicMenace

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I love you. No, seriously. I love you. Thank you! I've always heard about optimizing my videos for search, but I thought it only meant using the keywords at the bottom. I'm off to start fixing my videos now. Thank you so much!

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I love you. No, seriously. I love you. Thank you! I've always heard about optimizing my videos for search, but I thought it only meant using the keywords at the bottom. I'm off to start fixing my videos now. Thank you so much!
Tags is just one small part of literally hundreds of things that help determine your ranking in searches and related videos :)

Deftoneish

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ahhh, SEO such a brilliant tool that is so underrated.

I've used this method consistently for years now, both on a website I help run and on my videos more recently! I beg everyone follow this guide as it will really increase your chances of getting spotted!

Randy McKown

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
I've added custom CC transcripts to my videos. The assumption is that the search algorithm looks at this and we all know how humorous the auto CC can be. How much weight the engine gives the CC is unknown because Google never makes SEO info public but it seems that giving it a decent amount of weight would be logical.

Reactions: MattZ

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've added custom CC transcripts to my videos. The assumption is that the search algorithm looks at this and we all know how humorous the auto CC can be.
I do believe that's not an assumption... didn't Google make an announcement a few months ago saying that transcripts did play into it?
That said, it would be outright silly if they didn't. It's quite literally the content of your video, so not using it would make Google a completely amateur company - which they are not.

However, it's hardly the end all be all. As I explained to MattZ on Skype yesterday: if Rihanna posts a new music video, chances are she won't be singing "Rihanna music video" continuously in the lyrics. Yet the video should obviously still rank highly for the term "Rihanna music video". So I agree, it does definitely play a role, and I also agree no one really knows how much, but we should all remember that it's definitely not the end-all-be-all.

STMusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
SEO works pretty well. Im currently ranking most of my videoa on page ONE for keywords with 100K-500K monthly searches.

caleblake

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hi thanks for this, its really critical and very useful. I know a little about SEO, keywords, tags etc and ive managed to get one of my videos on the first page when people search for funny kids 2013, out of over a million results so i agree its vital for people seeing your views. Its also only taken 2 weeks to get there