SEO for your YouTube videos

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yikes! Quite a few replies since I last checked the thread!

Those, especially Panda, really destroyed one website I had up. That's a good tip advising to look at newer info. I didn't even think about that for people that haven't been doing it for a while already.

Penguin for me. Link building is a huge pain in the behind now! It's silly to the point where I'm afraid to even do legit marketing/advertising, in fear that Google will view those links as spam/paid, and in return punish my sites for it. Now Penguin 2.0 is out, and I'm not a happy camper, LOL! That said, these two updates have actually made it, in my experience, easier to rank (quality) videos on YouTube.

Do you evaluate others accounts or videos for proper seo optimazation aswell?
Not sure how much I'm allowed to say here, before being banned for "advertising", but yes I do (for a fee). Feel free to write me about that, don't really feel comfortable posting about it in this thread, don't wanna get in trouble!

Took a class on this in college, a very underrated aspect on how to get exposure to your videos.
Considering that organic searches is the primary source for all YouTube views, it's amazing everyone isn't on it!

Great advice, thanks:thumbsup2:
Glad you found it helpful! :D

Great Thread, props to you for creating this, now I don't expect free help and I would be willing to pay for some services, you keep mentioning the case studies you are putting together, any chance you can provide a ETA of when they will be done and how they can be obtained?
Like above, I'm a little afraid of posting too much, and getting banned. But I hope it's OK to say the following: they will be part of an YouTube-specific SEO video course (roughly spanning 2-5 hours, depending on the version you buy), that is set to release anywhere from a few weeks from now, to a bit over a month, if all goes as planned. A temporary website is up, but again, I don't want to post the link. Feel free to send me a PM and we can talk.

Thanks man! I'm going to look more into this right now.
Best of luck! :)

Good content keeps asses in their seats, but SEO gets them there...
That's a nice way of saying it :) I usually use the following example:
Good content is like the corner pillars of your house. Without them, you just can't build the house. But you also can't build a house ONLY with them.

Parallax Abstraction

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I missed this thread before but got to take a look at it and there's some interesting advice in here. I've been trying to properly keyword my videos from the beginning and have actually been going back and adding more as I've learned better ones. I was not aware of the value of having the first couple of lines of the description being SEO'd as well. I put a lot of effort into the descriptions but the first couple of sentences tend to follow the same formula. I don't have custom thumbnails yet either but I have an artist working on a template for those and hope to implement them soon. I would love to have the SEO of my channel analysed but since I just bought a house, that's probably not in the financial cards for a while. I didn't know about YouTube's keyword suggestion channel though and I'll definitely be trying that as well as Google's to try to SEO my blog as well. Thanks!

Papa Derp Plays

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Hi Philip Zeplin,

1. Has Panda and Penguin updates affected the 1st page rankings of Youtube videos like it has with mediocre websites and EMDs?

2. Is social media the strongest ranking metric such as Google authorship?

3. Is your product a guide or downloadable software to help Youtube videos? (Maybe you don't want to divulge the details just yet, I was just wondering. Hope it's not a WSO, I loathe Warrior Forum.)

Thanks!

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi Philip Zeplin,

1. Has Panda and Penguin updates affected the 1st page rankings of Youtube videos like it has with mediocre websites and EMDs?

2. Is social media the strongest ranking metric such as Google authorship?

3. Is your product a guide or downloadable software to help Youtube videos? (Maybe you don't want to divulge the details just yet, I was just wondering. Hope it's not a WSO, I loathe Warrior Forum.)

Thanks!

1: The videos I have experimented with now, didn't exist before the Panda and Pengiun updates, so I can't say specifically how it affected them. That said, I see less videos ranked as first or second results on the first page of Google now, than I did, say, 5 months ago. They seem to generally be placed as 3rd-7th result now. But since it's videos, they still show up quite clearly, compared to websites. All that said, I'm not as much focused on getting videos to the front page of Google, as I am getting organic traffic from YouTube.

2: I don't want to go too much into detail about this at this point, but I'll briefly say that, as far as I have been able to tell, social media (social bookmarks, facebook, twitter, etc.) trumps all other kinds of links for link-juice power, if done correctly anyway.

3: my product is not a WSO :) While I do plan to eventually market it on the warrior forums as well (because really... if you have any kind of IM related product, why the heck wouldn't you?!), this is not a product aimed at the WSO community specifically. It will be (or is planned to be, I should say) video courses, presented on a website as lessons, for a one-time fee for access to those courses (somewhat like a membership, though it is a per-per-course thing, not all things available (non-SEO products are also there), one-time-fee per course).

EDIT: I feel like I should add that I'm not so massive SEO Albert Einstein here. I just happen to know a fair bit about SEO, fully self-taught, and decided to take that knowledge, along with academic knowledge and methods, over and apply them to YouTube videos, since I was frustrated that no solid services and/or methods/courses for ranking videos. This all started with me just going "man, I want more views", nothing more.

Reactions: Papa Derp Plays

Papa Derp Plays

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Very insightful answers :up:

I like that your making your product to be over-the-shoulder(?) video focused, I never learn much by reading kilometer-long copy. No upsell hell sounds great!

I hope you make it reasonably priced, I can't afford a $3000 Frank Kern-like product anymore.

Either way, can't wait! :wavespin:

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Very insightful answers :up:

I like that your making your product to be over-the-shoulder(?) video focused, I never learn much by reading kilometer-long copy. No upsell hell sounds great!

I hope you make it reasonably priced, I can't afford a $3000 Frank Kern-like product anymore.

Either way, can't wait! :wavespin:

Naturally I'll do my best to make you interested in other products I have (I have a long line of advanced photoshop tutorials, for instance, that I used to sell on another site until it closed down), but no, there will be no upsells that you typically see in WSOs. There will be different versions, clearly labelled, for people that want different levels of depth (for instance, there's no need for a complete noob, who just wants to get a few important basics right, do know about detailed link building strategies).

Depending on which version you buy, there will be a different number of case studies included. Overall, the lessons are planned pretty much like a university lecture (except I have no whiteboard! - really wish I did though... maybe I should buy one? LOL), with me sitting and explaining different things, giving specific references and examples depending on the topic at hand.

Geez! Maybe I should rethink my pricing! :p Lets just say, that the tentative pricing I have in mind, would be pocket change compared to that.
As the foundation, building block really, I'm making this for YouTube'ers, not CEO's of SEO firms. I do believe there might very well be relevant info for people on that level too, but they aren't my target audience at all.

But I want to reiterate the edit that I added above:
I feel like I should add that I'm not an amazing SEO Albert Einstein here. I just happen to know a fair bit about SEO, fully self-taught, and decided to take that knowledge, along with academic knowledge and methods, over and apply them to YouTube videos, since I was frustrated that no solid services and/or methods/courses for ranking videos. This all started with me just going "man, I want more views", and basically "spiralled out of control" to the point where I went "you know, this would make an awesome information product". Nothing more.

But I would prefer not to go into more detail here. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't want to p**s of the moderators, I know they don't like "advertising" products, even if you were the one who asked about it. But shoot me a PM, and I'll give you some details so you can keep an eye out for stuff :)

Papa Derp Plays

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Yeah no more "your product" talk...

ANYWAY I'm sure there no pure SEO geniuses outside of Google since they are the ones behind flushing out bad content from the SERPs but at least you have the actual education to put into your... Subject matter.

Your right, there is absolutely NOTHING that delves deep into Youtube, purely for Youtubers. Go to Clickbank (or some other site), oh look another crappy PDF by people who also want me on their lists so they can email swap with other "gurus" I've never heard of, that's just what I was looking for!!! :down:

Yeah I'll PM you wanting to know more :D

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
ANYWAY I'm sure there no pure SEO geniuses outside of Google since they are the ones behind flushing out bad content from the SERPs but at least you have the actual education to put into your... Subject matter.
Personally I feel Google has taken their "fight against BlackHats" way WAY too far, to the point where it's now hitting everyone no matter what they're doing. Hell, these days I feel you need to know more about protecting your site against the GoogleSlap, than how to promote it! :p I mean really, even doing guest posting on other blogs, is now considered "unnatural link Building", and because your profile on those other blogs have the same information every time you post, it is then considered keyword stuffing your anchor text. And then there's the Whole issue, that now "negative SEO" has actually become a tactic to destroy competitors rankings, which is just insane. "Oh, it's ok, you have the Disavove Tool!" - yeah, sure, if I want to spend literally dozens of hours going through literally tens of thousands of links. Sure, that sounds just great, Google! I'll get right on that, thanks!
Now, don't get me wrong: 3 years ago, when you could just spam out literally tens of thousands of forum profile links and rank for that, yes, that was silly. But this is just taking it too far. Not to mention their mafia-like tactics:
When the "warning of unnatural link Building" warnings started going out, do you know what happened? If you disavoved the bad links, submitted for reconsideration, people started getting the following reply back from Google: "If you share details on the SEO Company that you have used, this may increase your chances of getting your website reconsidered" - I kid you not, Google basically blackmailing people into giving out information (so Google can, for instance, go in and completely remove entire blog Networks, and so on). I'm amazed stuff like that is even legal.
Not to mention that Google penalizes sites for scraping content, yet Google Images, Google News, Google Products are all built on scraping content from other sources - so it's OK for Google to do, but not for you.

So if you hadn't guessed, I'm not a big Google fan these days :p

Your right, there is absolutely NOTHING that delves deep into Youtube, purely for Youtubers. Go to Clickbank (or some other site), oh look another crappy PDF by people who also want me on their lists so they can email swap with other "gurus" I've never heard of, that's just what I was looking for!!! :down:
I have nothing against PDFs, if the content is good. But the problem is: the content isn't good. Same goes for most websites out there, really. They just say the same Things over and over Again, that really, anyone could figure out: "Put the keyword in the title. Remember to add tags! Put it on your facebook page! Bla bla bla". Really, just reading the official YouTube guide, on youtube, would tell you more than that. And yes, somehow they always all end in basically saying "So now you know what to do, but it won't Work unless you get this product, that just happens to cost 29.99$, and is an affiliate".

Philip Zeplin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
SEO seems to have popped back into discussions, so I thought I would bump this old sucker up!

Also, the course that me and Papa Derp were discussing, can now be found in the thread here:
/threads/rankify-youtube-get-more-views-by-using-seo.81180/

Good content keeps asses in their seats, but SEO gets them there...

Re-read this today, and it really is a solid way of saying it. Well done on you, good Sir!