Seeking rock hard critique of my newest cover song

Jonatan Moser

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So, since I started uploading (relatively) regularly a few months back, my sub count has grown to 323. I would like it to grow higher and faster (obviously), so I would really appreciate some boldly honest opinions on my work to improve my quality in future videos.
Since I am only allowed to post a single video link, I would like to hear honest opinions on both performance, vocal abilities and overall video impression on my cover of 'Mary did you know' (link posted below).
(the production value of my videos varies a bit, as I sometimes record and cut them myself, and other times (like in this particular instance) get help from a friend).

If this for some reason attracts your interest and you end up checking out other stuff on my channel, I would really love to hear your opinion on other elements as well - as for example channel layout (graphic, profile picture, setup, channel trailer etc.) and overall impressions of my content.

Thank you so much guys,

Last edited by a moderator:

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Let's see let's see, where to start. Well your singing voice I would give a solid A. Definitely has potential for being a big-shot in the singing community.
The atmosphere in the video I would say was pretty cool, couldn't figure out if you were really outside or just using a green-screen, but one thing that really bothered me personally was how the lighting behind you gave you this weird glow around your hair, and there were several moments where it gave off the look of like a really poor green screen job.

It's a minor issue, one I don't see on other cover artists but then again most of them stick around to their studio, the change of scenery was pretty cool.

Your ending was a bit too long and seemed like you lost a lot of the energy you had while singing.

Overall though, it was quite good, not my favorite genre of songs, but you got the potential to be great. Just be consistent, make a schedule upload once a week or every 2 weeks, whatever fits you better, and you should do fine :) good luck!

Jonatan Moser

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Let's see let's see, where to start. Well your singing voice I would give a solid A. Definitely has potential for being a big-shot in the singing community.
The atmosphere in the video I would say was pretty cool, couldn't figure out if you were really outside or just using a green-screen, but one thing that really bothered me personally was how the lighting behind you gave you this weird glow around your hair, and there were several moments where it gave off the look of like a really poor green screen job.

It's a minor issue, one I don't see on other cover artists but then again most of them stick around to their studio, the change of scenery was pretty cool.

Your ending was a bit too long and seemed like you lost a lot of the energy you had while singing.

Overall though, it was quite good, not my favorite genre of songs, but you got the potential to be great. Just be consistent, make a schedule upload once a week or every 2 weeks, whatever fits you better, and you should do fine :) good luck!
Thank you so much for your in-depth reply :)

Haha, I find it hilarious that the setting apparently can be taken for green screen - it was filmed outside, the brick wall behind me is the backside of my house xD

As to the light around my head, it was actually meant to be like that - believe it or not. It was an idea my buddy Oskar came up with (the guy who filmed and cut the video), as it would have a slight resemblance to a glory, which we thought fitting for the theme of the song ;-)
This was not my usual genre or style of music, but for some reason I fell in love with this song as soon as I heard it. You should check out Peter Hollens and Cee Lo Green's versions of it - they are marvellous!

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, I most definitley have stuff to consider for my next uploads ;-)

Reactions: Sin B

Brigadier Glyte

Reaction score
I mean... I'm not your target audience, and I hate the genre, but that video is top notch. Do that every time, build some exposure and you're set. Lighting well organised, singing on point, cinematography pretty good. Work on branding a bit though. Other than your face, there was nothing in your video that told me anything about your channel and why I should watch you.

Reactions: Jonatan Moser

Jonatan Moser

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I mean... I'm not your target audience, and I hate the genre, but that video is top notch. Do that every time, build some exposure and you're set. Lighting well organised, singing on point, cinematography pretty good. Work on branding a bit though. Other than your face, there was nothing in your video that told me anything about your channel and why I should watch you.
Hey man
Thank you so much, it makes me so happy to get feedback like this!
I did try personalising a bit by doing that 'talking part' in the end of the video, so I'm not exactly sure how else to do branding in the video itself... but I would love to get some new ideas or try different angles! So do you gave any suggestions or specific comments/suggestions on branding?

Brigadier Glyte

Reaction score
Hey man
Thank you so much, it makes me so happy to get feedback like this!
I did try personalising a bit by doing that 'talking part' in the end of the video, so I'm not exactly sure how else to do branding in the video itself... but I would love to get some new ideas or try different angles! So do you gave any suggestions or specific comments/suggestions on branding?
For a start, make sure you demonstrate versatility. There are a billion talented cover artists currently publishing on youtube. And you need to stand out. For a start, your video ending was really weak. Make it snappy.

"I'm [Brigadier Glyte] and this was my new cover of [Titanium] by [David Guetta]. If you liked the song, you can get it on bandcamp here, and if you really loved it, a like or subscription would not go amiss. Want me to perform a song of your choosing? Leave a comment! If I like the idea, then it will roll around [on your next upload schedule date]. Anyway, I'll see you guys round. Thanks, and I'm out" said over about 10-15 seconds. It's snappy, gives you some real camera personality, and encourages viewer interaction. I'd recommend getting an endcard ASAP since it looks like you know your way around editing programs. If you feel like it, I don't think a white/transparent watermark of your face would go badly either. Just remind your viewers that they ARE watching YOU, they HAVE just watched YOU, and that they WANT to watch ANOTHER VIDEO.

luckee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Oh my god! your voice is amazing. I am a music lover and yours is really good. I don't know what to say, production is professional - audio and angle great!!!! I feel like I am watching a Music video on MTV. You earned another thumbs up on that video. In music, I think you have to cover one of the trending song to get more subscribers and viewers. Viewers like me who loves music a lot, I usually find covers that is trending and if they sang better than the original, that definitely get a lot of attraction.

Jonatan Moser

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Oh my god! your voice is amazing. I am a music lover and yours is really good. I don't know what to say, production is professional - audio and angle great!!!! I feel like I am watching a Music video on MTV. You earned another thumbs up on that video. In music, I think you have to cover one of the trending song to get more subscribers and viewers. Viewers like me who loves music a lot, I usually find covers that is trending and if they sang better than the original, that definitely get a lot of attraction.
Hey man
Thank you so much, I get so thrilled from feedback like yours! I happily deliver quality content if I know that people enjoy it!
Thanks for the tip. I actually already do some new and trending songs now and then, but I have to admit that it has been a while... I will again though. I try to keep a relative balance between covers if music I really like and music that 'the mainstream music streams' like, but I think it's about time to bring in some good ol' radio pop songs. I am considering 'Dangerously' as my next project...

luckee

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Ahmnn, I am a girl :) I subbed to you. Keep it up, I guess you can sing Michael Bolton's song. Goodluck!