Screen recording of a YT clip for b-roll/copyright issues

DocFm

Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone heard anything about copyright policies for embedded screen recordings? I'll explain: can I make a screen recording of a youtube clip(for example a piece of a BBC documentary) using Quicktime where it is clearly visible the name of the video an the channel's name, and embed that into my own video? Will that violate any copyright policies? As I see it's not the same as just cutting out a bit of footage and using it without any reference. It looks like somebody's POV just watching youtube. Sounds a bit dodgy so I'm not sure about that. Could not find any info on this topic. Thanks

Lanorc

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
no
you cant.. all things bbc do are strictly copyrighted ( british law also). but thats just with bbc. you might just want to ask around on channels to see what they say about using their video on anything

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Nope, it's the same as recording the TV screen or a concert. If it were legal, people would record TV shows via their phones or cameras and just upload them on the net, there are some pretty decent cameras out there that can record TV screens pretty well too, not perfect but I digress.

ZaphodX

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
In general don't ever use media you haven't created unless you have a verifiable legal right to use it.