Replies to comments disappearing on my OWN channel?

RidingWithStymie

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
After typing the following thoughtful reply, I just realized this thread is from July 2020. How on earth did this get dredgedd up after all these months? Anyway, here's my 2 cents:

Social media companies are being increasingly careful what they allow on their platforms. They are not "anything goes" wild west shows anymore. Their managers have come to realize that their corporate reputations are on the line. YouTube is owned by one of the largest corporations on earth. Their business model based on selling advertising. Thousands of businesses large and small pay billions of dollars annually for advertising on YouTube (you and I pay nothing).

In recent years, Google/YouTube and other social media giants have got lots of backlash over content that people have posted, and over messages and language used on their platforms. As a result, they police their platforms much more strictly now. And there is automated censorship on youtube now. Computer programs monitor comments, especially the spam stuff.

Keep in mind that they are businesses, not democracies. Freedom of speech doesn't apply, because they own the platform. They are not obligated to provide servers and staff to maintain the infrastructure for others to express free speech, any more than Denny's has to let us post our content in their dinner menu.

I expect to see more policing of content going forward.

Reactions: LandyVlad
Reaction score
After typing the following thoughtful reply, I just realized this thread is from July 2020. How on earth did this get dredgedd up after all these months? Anyway, here's my 2 cents:

Social media companies are being increasingly careful what they allow on their platforms. They are not "anything goes" wild west shows anymore. Their managers have come to realize that their corporate reputations are on the line. YouTube is owned by one of the largest corporations on earth. Their business model based on selling advertising. Thousands of businesses large and small pay billions of dollars annually for advertising on YouTube (you and I pay nothing).

In recent years, Google/YouTube and other social media giants have got lots of backlash over content that people have posted, and over messages and language used on their platforms. As a result, they police their platforms much more strictly now. And there is automated censorship on youtube now. Computer programs monitor comments, especially the spam stuff.

Keep in mind that they are businesses, not democracies. Freedom of speech doesn't apply, because they own the platform. They are not obligated to provide servers and staff to maintain the infrastructure for others to express free speech, any more than Denny's has to let us post our content in their dinner menu.

I expect to see more policing of content going forward.
This is very true. 10+ years ago I saw plenty of horrific gore on YouTube that has almost completely been whitewashed from it now. In fact, YouTube gore videos let me down a rabbit hole back when I was at uni. It's weird because no one would believe it now. It certainly used to be like you describe, a "wild west show".

YouTube is a shadow of it's former self.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and reply.