Recording off Android phones with HDCP without resorting to root

Richnode

How many walruses have you stroked today?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer
This will be useful for very few of you I imagine, but it took me 2 days to figure out so I decided to post here in the hopes it will help some poor soul in future.

I wanted to record apps I had made off the screen of my One X (it's a work phone so I could not root it and use an app - which generally turn out laggy and s****y anyway).

However, it has that damn HD copy protection on it, which means you can't just plug the HDMI cable into an Elgato etc. because it will refuse to display and just give a giant red cross instead.

Here's the workaround:
  1. Use an MHL cable as usual to get the HDMI signal out
  2. Convert the signal to S-Video/Component/Composite using an HDCP compliant device (I used this, but any HDCP compliant device will work).
  3. Plug the new analogue signal into your Elgato/other capture device
  4. Make rude gestures to Hollywood. They and their stupid protection can suck it for trying to prevent me recording my own IP on my device.
Congratulations, you are done :)

Dee

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't understand a word you are saying but it sounds intelligent so I'm just going to pretend like I know what's happening :sneaky2:

ItsTehShadow

YTtalk's Purple Enthusiast!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
I lost you at MHL but it sounds good, I'm sure someone can understand it and will use your suggestion :p

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Cool well done for figuring that out, didn't know you could do it without rooting your phone.

Richnode

How many walruses have you stroked today?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer
There's no way to do it unless you buy something from China and those are out of stock forever it seems like.

If you can do 2 different outputs from your phone at one time, audio out and video out, you can do it with a converter like I use for the PS3 (which also has HDCP).

There's a $35 HDMI Converter box on Monoprice's website that I use. It takes SPDIF out from the PS3 for sound and HDMI video out into a DVI that plugs into the converter. It then re-combines the sound and audio on the other side into a single HDMI out. If you can get sound and video out of your phone separately, you could make one of these converters work.
Er you really didn't read my post did you? I explained exactly how to do it and it works.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I lost you at MHL but it sounds good, I'm sure someone can understand it and will use your suggestion :p
The MHL cable is what plugs into the phones micro USB port and outputs a HDMI port :)

TheRomanticsWB

Jack of All Trades
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Er you really didn't read my post did you? I explained exactly how to do it and it works.
Whoa! I deleted my post. I'm not sure what I was reading lol. In my own defense I am sick this morning to the point it's making me feel drunk :D Sorry!