Recommendations for Nice, Cheap Canon Lenses?

Rae Talks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey everybody,

Unfortunately my 50mm 1.8 lens for my T3i recently broke :(. Before I save up to buy another one, does anyone have any recommendations on others I should look into? (I typically just do sit-down type vlogs btw)

Also, although the quality for this lens was really good, it was really hard to focus to be honest...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
For that cost you won't get anything better than the 50mm. Unless you find a cheap second hand one somewhere. Just get another one unless you are willing to spend a few hundred more for something better

Reactions: Rae Talks

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You should absolutely consider replacing that lens. For the sort of work you're doing and for it the price, it's unrivalled. Having that 1.8 aperture on a 50mm prime is ideal for Youtube vlogging.

The T3i has an APS-C sensor (cropped) so you can get away with buying Canon's EF-S lenses as opposed to their EF range. See what's around; there's a few. And because they're only for crop cameras they are quite a bit cheaper. Note that if you ever upgrade to a full frame camera, your EF-S lenses are rendered useless.

Good luck,
James.

Rae Talks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
For that cost you won't get anything better than the 50mm. Unless you find a cheap second hand one somewhere. Just get another one unless you are willing to spend a few hundred more for something better
Do you recommend buying a used lens or is it always better to buy new?

Ok, I had never heard of ef-s lenses so I'll definitely look into them James!

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Do you recommend buying a used lens or is it always better to buy new?

I recommend buying the cheapest option. I've known people who have bought lenses for less than £1 and are still using them today

ItsJustJames

Releasing my inner child since 2016
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You probably own one; I expect you had one come standard with the camera.

On 'cheap lenses'. Be aware that in the professional world; money is in a lens, not in the body. There is far more cash injected into buying lenses than a camera body for a film shoot. For this application, obviously, we're not working with £50,000. Just note that a lot of picture quality comes from a lens, not the body it's attached to.

Good luck!
James.

projectorgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can get a grey market lens (new but meant for a market other than the us) cheap on ebay. I picked up a 600 dollar lens for about 300 doing this. Was for a nikon but it's similar to all the manufacturers.