Quite the rocky start for a brand new channel

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
A week ago or so we started our very first own channel. After uploading the first video we got two copyright claims on it. Both from blackbird chirping.

I know the system is automatic and all but it's funny that I get a claim from something so uncopyrightable. I mean if I had to pick one thing that can't be copyrighted, I'd say nature.

Here's the claims:

• Copyrighted content: Skoven
  • Claimed by: SME

And

• Copyrighted content: Logical Elements - Forest and Mountains-2406
  • Claimed by: AdRev for Rights Holder
And here's the video in question: v=TVg6ZSwCVy4

A couple of days later we uploaded a new video with different sounds and we got third copyright claim. This time from nightingale chirping.

• Copyrighted content: Skoven
  • Claimed by: SME
Video in question: v=QXM3cmnrJ0o

Now all three have been resolved in our favor. I wonder if this is something I just have to do everytime our video contains any bird sounds?

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I actually do own the copyright for these sounds (unless the original bird claims them, haha). They are made by me.

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Copyrighting nature's gotta be the most corporate thing I've heard in ages :D

But yeah, that's kinda the dark side of YT's automated system, it's been giving people headaches for the most asinine reasons and it's generally the creators who pick up the tab. The claimants have next to nothing to lose so they adopt a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach, which is why stuff gets claimed left, right and center.

Still though, copyrighting nature is kinda hilarious :laugh2: I'm sorry you have to go through all this

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Still though, copyrighting nature is kinda hilarious :laugh2: I'm sorry you have to go through all this
Indeed. I'm glad this brought so much amusement too. ^^

Reactions: Dig

TheGameGateway

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ahhh well as long as it's all getting cleared up I guess it's not a massive deal, it would be incredibly annoying if it didn't definitely. I've only ran into that problem a couple of times because of songs in LA Noire and GTA on the cars radios, something I never even thought about, so I just edited it out and cracked on with recordings and videos like nothing had happened. I hope you don't get this problem in the future though :D

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've only ran into that problem a couple of times because of songs in LA Noire and GTA on the cars radios, something I never even thought about, so I just edited it out and cracked on with recordings and videos like nothing had happened.
Whoah. I could never foresee something like that. Thanks for tip! Might save me in the future.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Or...

When you dispute, you might point out that the claimant is abusing the CID system by submitting non-exclusive content to the Fingerprint Database. This is what I do when someone tries a copyright claim on nature sounds, or royalty free content; and I have been hit with both types of claims many times in my YouTube career. Not once has such a claim been upheld; though once I did have to take it all the way to a DMCA Counter-Notice. Enough abuse chalked up to a single content owner's account will see them ejected from the Content ID program.