Popular vlogging cameras: Canon G7X Mark ii vs. Sony RX100 V

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Canon G7X Mark ii vs. Sony RX100 V

These seem to be the top vlogging cameras used on YouTube these days, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on them?

Here are the differences that I can see with the cameras:

Canon:
Price is more affordable ($600 - $700)
Internal image stabilization is great
I like the out-of-box color grading more than Sony
Auto-focus is good, but seems to be slower than then new Sony camera
No 4K...Come on, Canon! 1080p is so 2011! :(
Battery life is...okay-ish. I'd buy 1 - 2 extra batteries.
Longer exposure for night shots if you like taking pictures
Touch-screen for focusing on other objects in the shot is super handy

Sony:
Blows Canon's HD frame rates out of the water - Sony is a complete game changer and makes it look like Canon is falling behind lol. Canon can only go to 60 fps (fps = frames per second), but Sony can go up to 960 fps (for like..6 seconds...but it's still pretty cool!). That's amazing! Think of the slow-mo stuff you could do with that!
Claims to have lightening fast auto-focus, however, I've seen some sluggish clips bumbling around on YouTube lol. It does seem to be faster than Canon.
Stabilization isn't very good compared to the Canon camera, so you need a good editing program for that step
It can shoot in 4K
Battery life is really bad. It seems like you need to buy like 4+ Sony batteries at $30 - $40 a pop to have the camera be useful for shooting video, especially slow-motion stuff. Generic "compatible" batteries apparently won't cut it (according to some YouTubers...).
The price tag is almost double what Canon is ($1000! Ouch! D: )
I think it does a better job detecting lighting changes between indoors and outdoors
The lens is more zoomed in and cropped looking than the Canon
It has a flip-out viewfinder like Canon has, but no touch screen capabilities. D:
Faster at shooting Raw pictures and a bigger buffer
It seems more fragile than the Canon? Everyone seems to buy screen protectors and cases for this camera, but not for the Canon
You can turn it to a much higher ISO in low-light, but the image looks like mashed potatoes at those ISOs, so there's really not much of a gain with that, imo....

Both seem to be good in low-light settings, have a nice picture, good auto-focus, okay audio, and are light-weight. They are both good cameras. ^_^

I personally think that for the price, Canon wins - especially since I don't think my computer will be able to handle 4K editing. Sony missed the mark with the touch-screen stuff, but gets lots of brownie points for the slow-motion and 4K for those who have a computer that can handle the editing. As soon as Sony rolls out with a touchscreen and better image stabilization, I think they will win hands down (especially if they find a way to improve the battery life a bit). :eek: But...that slow-motion is tempting.....I feel like for an extra $300-ish you get slow motion, 4K, and slightly more editing work with Sony -- but is it worth it? o_0

Last edited:

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've not used either but am super interested to see this comparison, as I always consider the GX7ii as its the one most vloggers who do what I do seem to be using. I have the Canon M10 at the moment but it seems a bit bulky for travel.

Reaction score
The biggest con with the canon is the lack of external microphone port. You'll always have the subpar audio quality with that unless you're going to buy an external audio recording device and sync the two together in post production.