Please review the COMMENTARY of this video! :)

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi guys, this section of the forum might be my favorite - because I love developing and learning with other small YouTubers like myself. For the most part, I've been the one giving critique, but now I need some of my own!

I'd like the commentary of this video to be constructively criticized. It's voice-over, not live action, and I've tried to go for an analysis commentary style for this video - the type of narration you might see eSports Commentators doing over a professional game, but on a much smaller scale.

The purpose of the video is for me to review my own gameplay, to offer tutorial/guidance to Overwatch players.

Thanks guys!

VIDEO:

Reactions: Anjim

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey how ya doing? Overall great video. I've never actually played Overwatch so this will be from the perspective of a total outsider. Firstly, Maybe slow down your commentary just a touch. At times it can be a little difficult to make out what you're saying. If need be, maybe edit the video to slow down some key points you're talking about. Secondly, more just a visual thing in my opinion, you could maybe try a smaller water mark if possible, it's a little distracting as it is. Thirdly, there are some moments where the commentary lulls due to a lack of anything happening on the screen (not your fault). I can't say for certain, but maybe for the longer instances of this, you could take a little bit in editing to cut or shorten these little bits. That could also make the video seem disjointed however, so that's your call. Finally, you could probably shorten the video down to about like ten minutes. Hitting the 15 minute mark on something like this is maybe a little overboard, but that may just be because I don't know the game. It's possible that it just takes that much to really get across what you're talking about and I don't realize that. Again, overall it's a great video. Keep it up :)

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey how ya doing? Overall great video. I've never actually played Overwatch so this will be from the perspective of a total outsider. Firstly, Maybe slow down your commentary just a touch. At times it can be a little difficult to make out what you're saying. If need be, maybe edit the video to slow down some key points you're talking about. Secondly, more just a visual thing in my opinion, you could maybe try a smaller water mark if possible, it's a little distracting as it is. Thirdly, there are some moments where the commentary lulls due to a lack of anything happening on the screen (not your fault). I can't say for certain, but maybe for the longer instances of this, you could take a little bit in editing to cut or shorten these little bits. That could also make the video seem disjointed however, so that's your call. Finally, you could probably shorten the video down to about like ten minutes. Hitting the 15 minute mark on something like this is maybe a little overboard, but that may just be because I don't know the game. It's possible that it just takes that much to really get across what you're talking about and I don't realize that. Again, overall it's a great video. Keep it up :)
Hey man! Thanks for the long review man!

The idea about slowing the video down when something important/notable is happening is a really awesome idea. I will definitely try to utilise that in the future.

I think the speed of which I talk is my accent to be honest, I'm from yorkshire and we have a tendency to string words together so quickly; I will try and enunciate more

Timing isn't something that I'm really concerned about for this particular series. I'd rather put the whole game up, almost as a "Past Broadcast" kind of concept (like on Twitch), just to archive the ranked games. Longer videos are definitely less attractive, but I think it's not worth sacrificing parts of the game to cut it down.

p.s. Watermark? I don't have watermark, do I? What do you know that I don't haha!

Thanks man! Appreciate it!

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
p.s. Watermark? I don't have watermark, do I? What do you know that I don't haha!
Thanks man! Appreciate it!
Yeah I watched in the embedded viewer first and I suppose there it has a Pseudo-watermark, not something that's actually on your channel itself haha. My bad

Sambo Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The video was good. I do not play overwatch so I had no clue to what was going on so maybe an overview of the game objective and what the job of a "genji" and other characters roles are would've had me more into the video. Quality and editing is good no problems there.

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great commentary I am hoping to be a great Overwatch player

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The video was good. I do not play overwatch so I had no clue to what was going on so maybe an overview of the game objective and what the job of a "genji" and other characters roles are would've had me more into the video. Quality and editing is good no problems there.
Great commentary I am hoping to be a great Overwatch player
Hey thanks guys! There's actually a more modern version of this video where I think my analytical commentary has improved quite a lot! Do you think you could compare the two, see if this edition is any better?

Sambo Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey thanks guys! There's actually a more modern version of this video where I think my analytical commentary has improved quite a lot! Do you think you could compare the two, see if this edition is any better?

I think you do a better job of the game objective and characters. One thing is for sure, your play by play commentary is great! BTW I sent you a message on youtube so if you have not checked that out yet please do!