People Won't Watch Game play Videos Without Commentaries?

Jenelly

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've reviewed several youtube channels that don't have commentary and when watching them I got bored within seconds. In my opinion there are tons of youtube gaming channels all competing with each other. If you want to stand out, you have to do something unique. I think it would be interesting if you played games and had a camera on you but you couldn't talk so you were just showing your reactions to stuff without saying a word. Could be called, "the silent gamer". That could be an interesting angle I suppose.
"I think it would be interesting if you played games and had a camera on you but you couldn't talk so you were just showing your reactions to stuff "
lol well i have a screen recorder app on my smart phone that can do front face camera, but then i would use that for me playing mobile app games, i suppose that can be another idea to add onto the series eh? hehe x)[DOUBLEPOST=1467737610,1467737472][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you ask me commentary is irrelevant, but keep in mind I watch gameplay videos for the game itself, not for other stuff. On the topic of commentary, I prefer informative over funny commentary especially if the humor sounds extremely forced or the person playing overreacts to everything. Also yes, post production commentary can work, so you can speed up the boring parts and keep the voiceover to the more interesting parts, avoiding the awkward mumbles when you don't have anything to say.
Ok i shall keep these tips in mind thanks for sharing! :)

Thijstastic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Commentary is something I like to have, otherwise it's just really boring as I can just play the game myself then.
Make yourself unique as gaming channel, the most boring is being a silent gamer

Reactions: Jenelly

Wonderboy Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would try adding music in the background but also add some sound effects with it. Simple effects can go a long way and add another dimension to the video. You can also add graphics overlay to make the viewer more interested. Add stats, tips, questions to engage with your audience.

Pedals & Stuff

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Here's the thing, I like to play games when i get the chance. As a parent of a toddler we own a Wii U and Xbox 360 game systems.

I love the family friendly games Some classic Mario games that we bought on the Wii U and sonic the hedgehog games on Xbox 360.

Side note I also have a little one who's 5 months, So I have times where i'm able to play some video games on my free time during nap time, But have times where i cant record my commentaries while playing due to not wanting to wake my children up while talking. were renting a small studio so they can wake easily when i do commentaries and did decided to be all chatty.

My Question, Since it seems i'm able to play video games w/o mostly commentaries vs with, i'm debating if i should just upload my game play videos without my commentaries or not? hmm

I was thinking when i have the free time to play - example like right now: My kids are asleep. so if i were to play a video game i would only able to record w/o any commentaries and just game play only...

lets say when they wake up for lunch time and i get that free time, Then if i'm in the mood to play video games i will be able to capture my game play with commentaries.

Just wondering if people will even bother to watch game play videos with out commentaries or not?

or if i should just wait until i'm able to capture my game play with my children awake and only record game plays with commentaries only....

p.s. it seems i'm only able to play majority of my video games during their nap time so this is why i am asking,
now if you say to only record when their awake and to capture commentaries then that will be more of a challenge since i will be playing the parent role of taking care of them while their awake.

would appreciate any feedback on this :)
I think it might work, but only with interesting, story driven games (Last of us, Walking dead etc). Watching mario levels without audio would probably be very boring.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i don't really see the point of watching just gameplay. its kinda dull. i want some personality in my videos. i want to have a laugh with the person. or hear some strategy or tips depending on the game. there are maybe a couple of channels? that just do gameplay but i am sure 99% of the viewers would prefer to hear some personality

Jenelly

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it might work, but only with interesting, story driven games (Last of us, Walking dead etc). Watching mario levels without audio would probably be very boring.
oh i would of course include the actual music thats included in the game play but if i did some with commentaries then i would lower the volume to make sure the viewer is able to hear what i have to say. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1467748977,1467748735][/DOUBLEPOST]
i don't really see the point of watching just gameplay. its kinda dull. i want some personality in my videos. i want to have a laugh with the person. or hear some strategy or tips depending on the game. there are maybe a couple of channels? that just do gameplay but i am sure 99% of the viewers would prefer to hear some personality
Would you think people would watch gameplay with commentaries without adding any graphics or overlay? i.e example Like how pewdiepie or Scarce adds images in between their gameplay,

if i was able to add some commentary with my personality but just only showed the gameplay without overlay images and then people may watch what i have to say?

i suppose you can use jacksepticeye as an example what im trying to want to do except i wont have the front camera on me, just me playing gameplay all the way and have me do a bit of commentary when im able to.[DOUBLEPOST=1467749114][/DOUBLEPOST]
Commentary is something I like to have, otherwise it's just really boring as I can just play the game myself then.
Make yourself unique as gaming channel, the most boring is being a silent gamer
i already made a post to someone else but you know how some people like scarce adds overlay images on his gameplay? what if i just did gameplay all the way with commentary only and not show any graphics overlay? will people you think watch those as well? or do they prefer graphics overlay in between the gameplay hmmm

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i can only talk about my personal taste, but if i watch a lets play, i want the person to be talking as they do it (i don't care about a face cam)

scarce gameplay is only there as purely background because you have to have something.

what i would suggest is give it a go, whats the worst that can happen. ask for feedback. your viewers might enjoy a nice relaxing gameplay video. your audience is different to everyone else's, so give it a pilot episode and go from there

Jaguar550

Not without Vakarian!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There are tons of people(myself included) dislike commentaries in gameplays. Channels like MKiceandfire(550k subs), Mrretrokid91(165k subs), Hassanalhajry(450k subs), RajmangamingHD(440K subs) are all No commentary gameplay walkthrough channels and doing great.

Reactions: Painter and Jenelly

Jenelly

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There are tons of people(myself included) dislike commentaries in gameplays. Channels like MKiceandfire(550k subs), Mrretrokid91(165k subs), Hassanalhajry(450k subs), RajmangamingHD(440K subs) are all No commentary gameplay walk through channels and doing great.
just pure walk through with out any graphics overlay and no commentary?

i never heard of those people you mention, i shall check them out to get an idea, Thanks! :)