Passion or Views? Or BOTH?

Hi everyone. I just made a new gaming channel about 10 days ago.

I made some videos with lots of editing and efforts, which I like btw. They did not do well in views. But there are good ratio of people subscribing.
Then I saw an opportunity some days ago and made a video with little to no editting. That video did really well in youtube searching (80% views from people searching couple of keywords). So many views: 900 after 7 days (compare to my average 10-20 views other videos). I made another video targeting that same keyword and got 400 views after 3 days. The bad stuff here is almost no one stay. 1300 but only 1 subscribe. I hope some watch other of my videos.

I want to ask you guys why you make youtube video. Is it because you want to be famous, chase views / beat youtube algorithm. Or because you do what you like, in other word: passion.
I feel like I cannot just do what I like, I need to do what people like. Should I chase after opportunities so that people can find me?

For me it's a mix. I don't want to be famous at all as a person, but I would like my channel to be famous inside it's niche as one of the better channels. I wouldn't do it at all if I wasn't passionate about it and enjoyed what I was doing.

That means that I do some compromising. I realized early on that my channel was to small to compete with much larger channels for search traffic so I decided to change from creating videos for a huge and very popular game with hundreds of thousands of people creating videos for it to a much smaller (but still popular) game that I also enjoy. But even with less competition it was hard to compete with the larger channels so I decided to go for an even smaller niche but still the same game, doing tutorials. That's where I started to pick up views and grow. I use the niched down content to drive traffic to my less niched down content, gameplay.

I made some videos with lots of editing and efforts, which I like btw. They did not do well in views. But there are good ratio of people subscribing.
So many views: 900 after 7 days (compare to my average 10-20 views other videos). I made another video targeting that same keyword and got 400 views after 3 days. The bad stuff here is almost no one stay. 1300 but only 1 subscribe.

More views quickly is not always the best way if you want your channel to grow. As you say above when you put time and effort into your videos you get a lot of subscribers, when you don't and just go for something that will get you easy views you are not getting any subscribers. Based on that, if you are in it for the long run, it's probably better to do 500 good videos that make your channel grow over time and reach 1 million views and 5 000 subscribers in 3 years than making 50 easy videos reach 1 million views and 100 subscribers in 1 year.

I do it for fun. I'm actually editing a videogame review about a game where you don't just get r4ped I swear.
Honestly if you want fame, cash or views just don't bother. This ain't TV, it's internet radio.
No, really. It's just people doing what they want, talking about what they like etc.
You think that a radio station cares about how many listeners they get? Nah. Most of them just do it for fun and you should too.

Really nice way to think of doing youtube. I think too much about growing that I've been forgetting to have fun.
This is why I make this post, to listen to other people opinion and stop thinking about youtube all the time.
Let's have fun doing youtube!

For me it's a mix. I don't want to be famous at all as a person, but I would like my channel to be famous inside it's niche as one of the better channels. I wouldn't do it at all if I wasn't passionate about it and enjoyed what I was doing.

That means that I do some compromising. I realized early on that my channel was to small to compete with much larger channels for search traffic so I decided to change from creating videos for a huge and very popular game with hundreds of thousands of people creating videos for it to a much smaller (but still popular) game that I also enjoy. But even with less competition it was hard to compete with the larger channels so I decided to go for an even smaller niche but still the same game, doing tutorials. That's where I started to pick up views and grow. I use the niched down content to drive traffic to my less niched down content, gameplay.

More views quickly is not always the best way if you want your channel to grow. As you say above when you put time and effort into your videos you get a lot of subscribers, when you don't and just go for something that will get you easy views you are not getting any subscribers. Based on that, if you are in it for the long run, it's probably better to do 500 good videos that make your channel grow over time and reach 1 million views and 5 000 subscribers in 3 years than making 50 easy videos reach 1 million views and 100 subscribers in 1 year.

I have the same opinion with you about mixing.
I want my video to be perfect (in my head) and make people entertained. But it hits when doing so much with little to no returns.
And as you said, making crappy videos to follow trends is bad. I will try to pull out better quality videos and somehow follow the trends.

Anyway, I think whatever I do, I need to have fun doing it. After beginner's enthusiasm wailed, my spirit dipped so low that I have done almost nothing these days except looking at youtube studio stats for every seconds.

Thank you for your advice.

Both in my case, but I lean towards making videos for views more lately. I sometimes make videos my audience wants me to make, but at other times, I just pick a topic I'm interested in and make a video about it. I'm in a very, very narrow micro-niche, so most of the topics I am/was interested in have already been covered. Now I'm more interested in growth and broadening the scope of topics I talk about.

Niching down works, but in my case, I am already at a point where I don't want to make JUST the super specific kind of content my audience is interested in, so it's a challenge when you want to just do something different for once.

Right now it's for fun and an escape from my normal job, a few more views wouldn't hurt, though! I like to create art and teach myself new film and editing techniques.

So far, just to have fun and learn something new.

I consider it a hobby for now, but would one day like to produce content that I can monetize.
Not to live of off, but enough to have as a side business to expense personal travel, lol

Last edited:
Back