Outdoor recording - what accessories are good?

freppy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I record most of my videos outdoors since I don't really have any good indoor spaces I can record in... I have been using basics so far - my camera (Canon 650D), with a mic (Rhode Videomic Go), and a flexible tripod (Gorillapod).

I am looking at improving my setup to try to get better quality videos - what would you recommend is good for video recording outdoors? Is there anything you use that you can recommend?

I.e. Full size tripod (I am getting one of these soon)? Reflector panels? Other things that may not be immediately obvious?[DOUBLEPOST=1519617924,1519617850][/DOUBLEPOST]I have also thought about (but never bothered with) ND filters, and other filters... Are these worthwhile when filming outside?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Audio is important - even though your VideoMic Go is good (i have one) you would get better quality sound and less wind & ambient noise by using a decent quality ($50-$75) lapel mic either plugged into the camera, or recorded on a separate device. for a lot of our videos we record the audio from a lapel mic separately on an iphone, then sync it in post - much better quality sound.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A full sized tripod is essential. I use a secondhand Yashica from the early 1960's - works fine ($30) and is collectable to boot.

Decent quality wind resistant microphone also essential if you have a mic jack (which you do).

Mirrors/reflectors not required. You can easily compensate in your settings.

UV filters are useless with digital, except for polarizing, which can be useful at times.

A lens hood is a very good idea as it will reduce sun spots and flare when shooting towards the sun.

And of course a suitable non intrusive back ground is the go.

That's about it.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It sounds like you have pretty much everything but I would 100% get an ND filter for your lens. That way you can keep that 180° rule.

JoeCo17

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
UV filters are useless with digital, except for polarizing, which can be useful at times.

That's about it.
UV filters won't do anything for the picture, but they sure do a pretty good job of protecting your lens glass and its coating. Also, very affordable, so I'd say a pretty good investment.

I'd go for an ND (neutral density) or VD (variable density) filter.

Audio would be your most valuable investment, however. The NotARubicon is totally right, a lapel mic with a little deadcat would go a long way. If you want to physically go a long way (away from your camera) get a Zoom H1 or something of the like, if you don't want to be tethered to your camera.