Okay so I shoot all of my videos from my iPhone...

paigelknowles

Engineering & art student that says funny crap!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know this is totally acceptable but my question is why would anyone decide or even bother to get an expensive vlog camera if you already own an expensive iPhone. I realize that my examples of people who have done this are only people who have made substantial money from doing this but I still don't get the advantages of a camera over a phone. Could anyone fill me in on this? Are there editing reasons?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
AGREED. I used to shoot my VLOG videos with my NOKIA LUMIA 920. When we already have expensive phones to shoot the videos, there is no need to buy an EXPENSIVE Canon and Nikon cameras.
I shoot the videos with phone and import them into my laptop, then edit them with Movie maker and other softwares

Reactions: paigelknowles

Talooka

Weirdo With a Beardo
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Other
I think a $1200 DSLR would beat out a $600 phone. But a $600 phone would beat out a $600 DSLR.

But I don't own a DSLR OR an iPhone, so I really can't talk lmao. But would love some clarification on the issue

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think a $1200 DSLR would beat out a $600 phone. But a $600 phone would beat out a $600 DSLR.

But I don't own a DSLR OR an iPhone, so I really can't talk lmao. But would love some clarification on the issue
Me neither, with that said though, I need to upgrade both my phone and my camera, as my camera is over 5 years old and my phone is over 4 years old.

sir.penguin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
im pretty sure it has to do with image quality and sound quality. With an iPhone you have a small sensor to record with and the small internal mic to record with. But with an "expensive" camera you typicality get a larger sensor (compared to the iphone's) which generally means better image quality,plus more flexibility in editing, and you have the ability to plug in an external mic for better audio.

Jayrod

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I also film with my phone! #Twinzzzzz! :D Haha well the big difference is expensive cameras like canon/nikon are really good at shooting videos at night. They also are really good a zooming in with their lens...but other than that it's totally awesome to film with your phone! I hope this helps! :)

paigelknowles

Engineering & art student that says funny crap!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
im pretty sure it has to do with image quality and sound quality. With an iPhone you have a small sensor to record with and the small internal mic to record with. But with an "expensive" camera you typicality get a larger sensor (compared to the iphone's) which generally means better image quality,plus more flexibility in editing, and you have the ability to plug in an external mic for better audio.
Thank you soo much for your inputs that helps clear things up substantially! I could see where it might allow extra editing abilities but I would also think that you would need to get new software along with the new camera[DOUBLEPOST=1459022843,1459022613][/DOUBLEPOST]
I also film with my phone! #Twinzzzzz! :D Haha well the big difference is expensive cameras like canon/nikon are really good at shooting videos at night. They also are really good a zooming in with their lens...but other than that it's totally awesome to film with your phone! I hope this helps! :)
Thanks that does help I have ran into some focus problems with my last iPhone but ever since i got the new one I haven't had any issues with focusing and so far I've never needed to film at night so your info was very reassuring! Thanks again!

Reactions: Jayrod

Jayrod

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you soo much for your inputs that helps clear things up substantially! I could see where it might allow extra editing abilities but I would also think that you would need to get new software along with the new camera[DOUBLEPOST=1459022843,1459022613][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks that does help I have ran into some focus problems with my last iPhone but ever since i got the new one I haven't had any issues with focusing and so far I've never needed to film at night so your info was very reassuring! Thanks again!
Anytime! Glad I could help! :D

Reactions: paigelknowles

ItsMegan2

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to use my phone, which had great quality video, but the problem I ran into was running out of space which really limited how long I could film for, so I felt rushed while filming. I also found it difficult to know when a video was focused, because I wasn't able to see the screen. (I used the back camera because it gets WAY better quality than the front camera.) I know there is a way to give your phone a viewfinder (you can like connect to another device with Bluetooth or something) but I've found it a lot simpler to just use a normal camera. Another thing I prefer about having a camera is having a SD card that I can just put into my computer, instead of connecting my phone with a USB cord.

Kyle (Moto Moto)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess for me its so much easier using a camera. It comes with all the specific settings and I can have a removable sd card and any amount of storage I want (its limited with the iphone of course).