New Voice Recording Need Feedback!

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello guys,

About a week ago I posted something here on YTTalk asking about what was the best way to record audio in the street as I make travel videos and the less things I carry the best.
I got a member that helped me. I usually record myself talking to the camera outside and I used to use the on camera microphone to record but there was a lot of audio besides my voice like people talking, cars passing, street noise...
Now I started to use a lavalier microphone on my last video connected directly by cable to the camera, it makes a lot of diference.
I would like to know if you guys know about audio, if you could give me some tips on how can I improve the audio I am recording. Or anything I can do in post. It sounds good but I think its missing something...

Thank you for any answer
Pedro Nascimento

Deltoy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Very nice channel. And nice fix for your audio problem, good problem solving. Hope you do more!

Reactions: Pedro Nascimento

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very nice channel. And nice fix for your audio problem, good problem solving. Hope you do more!
Thank you, I will keep doing more :D[DOUBLEPOST=1485627827,1485627588][/DOUBLEPOST]
I bought myself a lavalier this week too, and it's very heavy on the bass side. Try to get the tip of your mic pointing towards your mouth, and you'll probably have to EQ it. Which is a 1 minute job anyway.
Listen to this.
https://soundcloud.com/fernando-ascencao/mic-pedro
Thank you so much, I just listen to it now and it looks way different. The original recording looks like I'm talking inside a box and then I got out hahaha
The thing is that I don't know much about EQ, can you tell me which frequencies you were playing with. I'm really a newbee on EQ.

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
In general, when recording on the street, you have cars and all sorts of low frequencies going on. So, you want to pull everything below 90/100hz way down. And, in your microphone's case, possibly have a rising slope up to around 1.5 khz. Then give it something like a 6 db boost at 2khz and keep it up there up to at least 16khz.
On audacity the equalizer curve would look like this

This EQ made it sound like this https://soundcloud.com/fernando-ascencao/mic-pedro2
But, each case is a case, so this can vary from day to day, thanks to mic placement, and other factors. But, as a general guide line, it works. And it takes no longer than 1 minute to do it.

Last edited:

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In general, when recording on the street, you have cars and all sorts of low frequencies going on. So, you want to pull everything below 90/100hz way down. And, in your microphone's case, possibly have a rising slope up to around 1.5 khz. Then give it something like a 6 db boost at 2khz and keep it up there up to at least 16khz.
On audacity the equalizer curve would look like this

This EQ made it sound like this https://soundcloud.com/fernando-ascencao/mic-pedro2
But, each case is a case, so this can vary from day to day, thanks to mic placement, and other factors. But, as a general guide line, it works. And it takes no longer than 1 minute to do it.
I made a video to show you how I did it, based on the picture you sent me. The video is unlisted you can only access it through this link.
It recorded on left side only so I deleted the right side cause it was with noise and then I made it mono.
But the thing is when I try to cut the frequencies below 100 its not let me it makes a huge curve, i cant make a straight line, so I triend with a 20 band EQ and I did it manually, is it the same thing?
Oh and thanks a lot for the help

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
You may notice the green curve behind the straight blue one, on my graph. That's the valid one. A straight curve would sound very unnatural. So, it is exactly the same thing as what you're doing on adobe audition. The most important thing, is to use your ears to decide if it sounds good or not. The graph only gives you a general idea of what you're doing.

Pedro Nascimento

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You may notice the green curve behind the straight blue one, on my graph. That's the valid one. A straight curve would sound very unnatural. So, it is exactly the same thing as what you're doing on adobe audition. The most important thing, is to use your ears to decide if it sounds good or not. The graph only gives you a general idea of what you're doing.
Yeah I know. I must listen if it sounds good or not and if not equalize it to sound better, but my this was I didn't know where to start and which frequencies should I change. But now I'm getting some knowledge i'll be good with EQ with time.
Thanks man! :D