New upload seems quieter than the original.

derpression

Reaction score
[I already asked this on Google's forums, but nobody seems to have answered.]

I uploaded a new video onto YouTube to find out the sound was much quieter than the original MP4 file I exported. Is there a reason for this? The file is louder compared to the video. If there is a fix, how do I do it?

It's not the YouTube volume, it's at max and yet still quiet.
Computer volume is at 100%.
Playback on my phone and TV are loud just like usual.
Other videos on YouTube are loud and normal.

Does it have to do something with my computer, or is it the video?

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is your problem:

YouTube has an audio normalization feature that tries to make loud videos quieter. There is a maximum decibel limit, if I'm not mistaken, that if you surpass, YouTube will lower the volume of the video.

You can check this by watching a YouTube video, and while it's playing, either right-click or hold down control and click (not sure about Microsoft computers, but for Apple computers, you must hold down control and click). Then click on "Stats for nerds." Then you will see "Volume/Normalized." I can't remember exactly what the percentages mean, (something along the lines of how much your audio has been lowered, if at all) but if you look at "content loudness," it will tell you how close you are to the maximum volume that YouTube likes. Positive audio means that your audio was too loud, and negative means that you are under the maximum, and YouTube shouldn't have changed your audio levels.

Look up how decibels are measured for a reference on how much you should change your audio in the future.

derpression

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is your problem:

YouTube has an audio normalization feature that tries to make loud videos quieter. There is a maximum decibel limit, if I'm not mistaken, that if you surpass, YouTube will lower the volume of the video.

You can check this by watching a YouTube video, and while it's playing, either right-click or hold down control and click (not sure about Microsoft computers, but for Apple computers, you must hold down control and click). Then click on "Stats for nerds." Then you will see "Volume/Normalized." I can't remember exactly what the percentages mean, (something along the lines of how much your audio has been lowered, if at all) but if you look at "content loudness," it will tell you how close you are to the maximum volume that YouTube likes. Positive audio means that your audio was too loud, and negative means that you are under the maximum, and YouTube shouldn't have changed your audio levels.

Look up how decibels are measured for a reference on how much you should change your audio in the future.
Thanks! It was because of how loud my audio is. I'll be sure to remember that when making a new video in the future.

Reactions: darksmokeyt