New to YouTube - Workflow Help (Recording to Uploading)

NewYears1978

Reaction score
Hey all, I have recently started a YouTube gaming channel and it has been a long process of learning things to get all set up. I am a mega perfectionist which can be a bad thing in this line of work.

I am currently working on my first gameplay series and it is more of a "training" exercise for me to learn how to use all my equipment, recording, how to do commentary, etc.

I've been struggling to get my workflow just right, from recording to editing to uploading. I am trying to retain the best quality upload without having render and upload times in the days (or maybe that is what people do to get the best quality?)

Currently I am recording Lossless video in OBS (I use a couple different settings). Actually I think I started using the Indistinguishable preset - because it looked nearly Identical. I play in 1440p, but I scale down to 1080p in OBS. I have a webcam in the corner which I record at 720p.

So I record this indistinguishable footage with OBS. A 3-4 min video game out to be about 1gb as expected (in this example)
I then pull this into my After Effects project where I have my channel intro set up, and I export this out as lossless, upscaled to 1440p (for YT VP9 encoder). This produces a file size of 40gb! Yikes. It looks good though, retains quality.

I then run this in handbrake and I have been trying various settings here. Mostly recently using one of the YT presets and manually adjusting the Quality RF to various amounts. 16 in one example produced a 800mb file, while 21 produced a 400 mb file (getting better)

I can't see much difference in those two so I am sure the lower will work.

I then uploaded it to YT and the resulting quality seems to be alright. It takes awhile to finish encoding even this small 3 min video but once it did finish the 1440p it looks ok to me.

So TLDR - wondering if anyone has any pointers that I can use or a better workflow that might help. I know I should not use After Effects to render out my video the problem is that Premiere was not cooperating, I have lots of issues with Premiere and AE worked a ton better (no hiccups or issues with playback in there).

Here is my rig for reference:
Ryzen 3900x
RTX 2080 Super
Recording ONLY drive - NVME M.2 512 gb
32gb 3200 Gskill Trident

I also have a second rig which I did play with using NDI to record, but this didn't really result in any benefits for me
i7 4790k
GTX 1050 Ti
Multiple SSD
16gb Gskill 1866

Here is a sample recording from the above wall of text/example...it is however in 48fps (I had to record in 48fps for Fallout 4 to prevent major FPS recording drops..this is only in FO4, other games do not have this issue..juts a problem with Bethesda engine games)

Sample:
Ignore camera I was only testing so I was slouching and not paying attention lol. Skip to around 1:30 for actual gameplay part.

(I just saw the "promoting channel" message on top of the screen, if this applies please let me know..I can upload the video to a dummy YT channel instead... I promise this was not promoting just had to have sample for reference, thanks!)

Thanks in advance for any pointers. I really want to streamline my whole process and see what others do. A lot of videos I see just have lower quality, so maybe I am pushing myself too hard but I really want to make it look the best possible within a reasonable workflow process.

Last edited: