Needing to Show Your Face to be Successful?

CinemaChicks

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just a little inquiry. Do you absolutely need to show your face to be successful on youtube? My friend and I do reactions and commentary to movies, but we aren't so keen on showing our faces. Is it necessary to find any growth and following to show your face or is there a work around for it?

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
You can if you get creative with it. You got a few YT'ers that can do it. so anything is possible. Sirlionhart, Steve Reviews, Nux Taku are some examples to look up. I'm still learning myself

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

It's definitely possible to grow without showing your face. A good example is/was "GradeAUnderA" who has grown to 3.6 million subs without ever showing his face. He made up for it with a very good voice and funny scripts and animations. :)

I do however think a channel will grow more quickly if the creator shows his/her face at least some of the time. ^^

Scopespy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can most definitely grow your channel without showing your face but it will be a bit more difficult. Its much more common for people who show their faces to get popular. People like to see who is talking and it makes them feel like they know you and will connect more. Good luck!

Bounce

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you get a nice little following/community, I think they'd appreciate to see the person behind the videos they enjoy. Think of it as something for your fans rather than a channel growing tactic.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel creator doesn't have to reveal anything about themselves, but some viewers may want to see the person who makes the content while others just want to hear whatever information they are looking for. Personally I want to see the person behind the channel, but it was hard to get on camera & obviously you are exposing yourself. Do you want to reveal yourselves? Will you do it if it causes channel growth?

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
You can definitely grow. I'm not showing my face and I've been growing decently for my own standards. Maybe you'd like to get to tens or hundreds of thousands of subs and views. I can't tell you how to get there obviously, but based on the YT channels I follow, it seems achievable.

The biggest bottle-neck, in my experience, is your upload frequency. Whenever I manage to dump a lot of new videos in a short time frame, I get a temporary boost by the algorithm. Lately, I've fallen off a bit, less videos, and my newest videos aren't getting recommended as much as the videos I did 2-3 months ago.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but that seems to be a pattern that repeats itself in my case, over and over again.

CinemaChicks

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thank you all for the replies. I'm just really self conscious about showing my face. I'm not the typical twiggy girl I usually see on videos. I'm bigger. :(

Reactions: Fost

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if you don't try you will never know, I decided to try & never looked back, it's not like thousands of ppl are watching, do whatever you want, try new things, explore, trial & error etc...

Reactions: Fost

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Thank you all for the replies. I'm just really self conscious about showing my face. I'm not the typical twiggy girl I usually see on videos. I'm bigger. :(
Bbw winning these days,in other words do what you want for you :wavespin::)