Need some advice about a promise I made

Irma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi there!

I've got a (quite new) youtube channel that's mainly about drawing. I love doing youtube and want to take it very seriously. I made a huge mistake though:
Last month I promised my viewers to make 50 drawing tutorials this summer. I've started making them and upload them every workday.
The problem is, I don't really like making these tutorials and I don't like how they turn out. (very low-quality content in my opinion, and I can't seem to make them better). And they get viewed a lot less than my usual videos (speed drawings and such).
I just want to create art instead of making these tutorials. Yet I still have 36 of them to do.

My question:
"What is worse for my channel? Breaking a promise by giving up the tutorials, or fill my channel with these low quality content for the next 1,5 month?"

I've got 214 subscribers, and I don't want to let them down. I know it was stupid to even begin promising such a thing... but I learned from it for sure.

KrakenSoup

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you're better off explaining the situation and the reasons why you're "breaking your promises" then producing quality that you're not happy with.

I know you want to keep your subs happy, we all do (I think) but giving them sub-par, rushed and, dare i say it, half hearted content because you're rushing to complete a deadline sounds more of a negative.

Perhaps, re-evaluate the promise, make a video explaining the reasons why and what you're going to do instead, to me thats more respectful to your subs.

You may lose subs, but the ones you have will be more loyal and respectful of you as an artist, teacher and content creator...IMO.

Cheers!

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there!

I've got a (quite new) youtube channel that's mainly about drawing. I love doing youtube and want to take it very seriously. I made a huge mistake though:
Last month I promised my viewers to make 50 drawing tutorials this summer. I've started making them and upload them every workday.
The problem is, I don't really like making these tutorials and I don't like how they turn out. (very low-quality content in my opinion, and I can't seem to make them better). And they get viewed a lot less than my usual videos (speed drawings and such).
I just want to create art instead of making these tutorials. Yet I still have 36 of them to do.

My question:
"What is worse for my channel? Breaking a promise by giving up the tutorials, or fill my channel with these low quality content for the next 1,5 month?"

I've got 214 subscribers, and I don't want to let them down. I know it was stupid to even begin promising such a thing... but I learned from it for sure.
Don't worry about I am sure they understand it's your channel you do whatever you want. You will get better in this forum we are here to help you improve. Keep being creative and I sure will get 10,000 subs

Irma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think you're better off explaining the situation and the reasons why you're "breaking your promises" then producing quality that you're not happy with.

I know you want to keep your subs happy, we all do (I think) but giving them sub-par, rushed and, dare i say it, half hearted content because you're rushing to complete a deadline sounds more of a negative.

Perhaps, re-evaluate the promise, make a video explaining the reasons why and what you're going to do instead, to me thats more respectful to your subs.

You may lose subs, but the ones you have will be more loyal and respectful of you as an artist, teacher and content creator...IMO.

Cheers!
Thank you so much for your reply. What you said really makes sence. It is indeed half hearted content, and I probably should not be doing that.
I like the idea of just making an honest video that explains it all.
Thanks again![DOUBLEPOST=1469110521,1469110448][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't worry about I am sure they understand it's your channel you do whatever you want. You will get better in this forum we are here to help you improve. Keep being creative and I sure will get 10,000 subs
Thanks for the reply and advice! You're right about that. Yes this forum truly is an amazing place!
It's very kind of you :)

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would be honest with my subscribers and say that I over-promised and will try my best to fulfill the spirit of the channel. Viewers are a lot more forgiving as long as you're forthright and are coming from a good place.

Irma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would be honest with my subscribers and say that I over-promised and will try my best to fulfill the spirit of the channel. Viewers are a lot more forgiving as long as you're forthright and are coming from a good place.
Thank you for the advice. It's true what you say. Honesty is most important.

Reactions: xingcat

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's your channel so I would say do what is going to make you most comfortable and take the channel in the direction that you want. Just make sure you let your subscribers know why you're changing it and they will likely understand. You could also do a video asking your subscribers for input on what THEY want. You may get an overwhelming reaction one way or the other which could help influence your decision.

Reactions: Irma

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YOUTUBE RULE NUMBER 1 - don't make content you don't want to make

the quality will be worse, you will care less. you subs will mostly understnd. you still did a bunch of them

Irma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's your channel so I would say do what is going to make you most comfortable and take the channel in the direction that you want. Just make sure you let your subscribers know why you're changing it and they will likely understand. You could also do a video asking your subscribers for input on what THEY want. You may get an overwhelming reaction one way or the other which could help influence your decision.
It's a good idea to ask subscribers for their input. Thanks a lot, this was really helpful! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1469127814,1469127796][/DOUBLEPOST]
YOUTUBE RULE NUMBER 1 - don't make content you don't want to make

the quality will be worse, you will care less. you subs will mostly understnd. you still did a bunch of them
Agreed! I've learned that now :D

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV