Need advice on YouTube video lenght

Impaler

Reaction score
Hello I need some advice from you all.

I'm thinking about starting to put in more work in a YouTube channel that I already have some content on.

Content specificity is videos of successful basketball throws.

What video length are more profitable for video uploads?

To begin with, I want to come up with a system so that I don't have to change it later.

For example, each individual video lasts between 3 and 15+ seconds.

Imagine this:

1. There is a player named M. Jordan. As the main criterion for division - i.e. man.

2. There are successful throws by type: 3-pointers, dunks, and 2 point shots.

And for example I have very nice shots as Jordan throws 10 different 3-pointers, 5 different mid-range shots and makes 20 different dunks.

How would it be most sensible and convenient to provide such content?

- Each clip, which can last from 3 to 15+ seconds as a standalone video and be listed by creating Jordan's playlist on YouTube?
- Combine only one type of shots into one clip. For example, video of all dunks, all three-pointers, etc. and add to he Jordan's playlist on YouTube?
- Combine everything into one long video? and I guess there is no need to create a playlist anymore for Jordan on Youtube.

Somehow I feel reluctant to put everything in one video because it would get quite long. Plus I think it might be bad for SEOs because I loose a lot of possible descriptions, keywords and so on only to one video. Since I remember when I first have uploaded some loose clips some of them got as much as 50k views.

It would be possible to make montages of only three-point shots made by various players (not only Jordan) and so on. In order to mix it up so that there is not always only one player.

Also, adding new shots to already uploaded videos would be impossible, since you cant append to an already existing video.

However, what about monetizing YouTube from such short videos? What should be the minimum duration to earn something? Is it viable financially to upload short videos?

And lastly, copyright. The original audio would be removed and replaced with some music or just crowd noise. However, all of those clips I have have been broadcasted on TV at some point in time. It can be 25 years ago or 5 years. Can I get a strike? demonetisation, claim or whatever? Although I've uploaded some random clips 8 years ago now, and no complaints have been made, no strikes.

Any tips or insights would help a lot. :) Thank you.

Also I plan to build a website and made a a nice presentation of the videos. place adsense on the website too.

ttxela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know nothing about basketball but if it were me I'd try and add a little more value than just stringing together sequences of shots, maybe show the shot then do a bit of an analysis of how it was set up, technique, mistakes by the opposing team that enabled it, maybe repeat in slowmo etc. etc. that way you could get a decent length video out of 2 or 3 shots and be more entertaining/educational.

Of course I'm making an assumption that you are knowledgable about basketball yourself otherwise that might not work.....:D

Reactions: Impaler

Impaler

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to suggest commenting of my own, that's actually an interesting point. I'll think about it doing that IF I decide to go that "format" direction.

But my primary concern now is the monetization question of short videos. can they be monetized properly? among other things I asked :)

ttxela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My understanding is that videos have to be over 10 minutes long to have ads in the middle but that's the only restriction I'm aware of timewise.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
And lastly, copyright.

This should be first, not last.

What you're trying to do is blatant copyright infringement. It is against Youtube's rules and also against international copyright laws. Don't think that this is "fair use". It isn't.

TV channels pay millions of dollars for the right to broadcast basketball. Do you really think they will just sit back and do nothing to other people that steal their content for NOTHING and then republish it? They will come after you. At the very least, you will get a copyright strike and quite possibly a lawsuit.

If you're going to do Youtube, create your own content.

Impaler

Reaction score
Okay Crown, thanks for your input too.

Are you guys sure that only longer videos that are 10+min in length make money? Then what about music clips??? Makes not sense. What i do a nice montage that is up to 5 minutes long then I get nothing from youtube? Does not seem right.

Reaction score
Yeah, videos over 10min can have custom placed ads in them. There is a major difference in pay in 10+ min and under 10min videos.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you are going into YouTube with a deliberate intention to quickly monetise and make a lot of money then you are very likely in for a big disappointment,
ESPECIALLY when the content would almost certainly be demonetized (at best) or deleted / channel closed at worst.

Start with something for which you have a real PASSION, create original content, and work from there.
Only passion + quality + hard work will get you where you want to be.

Just my $0.02 less tax :)

Reactions: Rewsoul

Rewsoul

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Keep the video lenth minimum at 3min. Longer then 10 min. will enable mid roll adds which means additional ad revenue. 1h-2h videos will usually have 5-10 mid roll ads. On the other hand making a >10min video does not mean you will get automatically more revenue. It all comes back to the audience retention. If a shorter video has higher average view duration, likes, comments etc., it will have more value and have a better impact on view count.

Dont use on majority of your videos copyrighted content. They may drive audience to your channel but you should be able to delete all those videos and still have a channel with content. The best case scenario you will get copyright claim on those videos and won't earn a penny.