Need advice for script planning for tech video

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I am trying to start a series of app review videos and I'd love to hear advice or opinions from anyone as to how to plan the videos.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
First, I pick the topic of my video. Then I record all the gameplay/footage. Then, I watch over the footage, and script the video as a watch the footage.
I found it to be a pretty good way of doing it, but other people probably have better ways than I do.

Reactions: Edoziethe1and0nly

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Ok that sounds great but what about if I want to show my face with the footage of the computer screen / products . I have to record another video of myself to describe the footage that is also scripted ?

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I like to approach reviews like school presentations. Bullet points on the topic, rehearse and then perform (though nowadays I'm lazy so I just do everything in my head). With video there's the added advantage of redoing if something goes wrong and a lot can be done in the editing stage if the footage allows it (like changing order of things and so on).

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Ok that sounds great but what about if I want to show my face with the footage of the computer screen / products . I have to record another video of myself to describe the footage that is also scripted ?
You could do that, or you could get screen recording software that also records your face.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I like to approach reviews like school presentations. Bullet points on the topic, rehearse and then perform (though nowadays I'm lazy so I just do everything in my head). With video there's the added advantage of redoing if something goes wrong and a lot can be done in the editing stage if the footage allows it (like changing order of things and so on).
So you just record yourself describing these bullet points on the topic. And then edit / retake the scenes which you want to rearrange for effects?

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So you just record yourself describing these bullet points on the topic. And then edit / retake the scenes which you want to rearrange for effects?
Yeah. So let's say I was reviewing a new phone. The bulletpoint list could look something like this:

- Introduction
- Specs
- Looks
- Feel
- Performance
- Everyday use
- Camera
- Games
- Battery life
- Conclusion

Depending on how good your memory is and how knowledgable you are of the product you could split them up even more to make sure you don't forget anything. Then, you could decide that "Wait, I want to talk about battery life before games since the games were a huge drain on battery" and then you just retake or just edit those to new order depending if the content makes sense already or not.

B-roll is pretty useful also to cover up the retakes. I have a travel channel and in the end of the videos I give five top tips to the destination. When I record it I might stumble with the numbers or not remember what I was thinking of saying, but I always roll travel photos or b-roll as the video instead of me, so it's really easy to edit it so it sounds like I had it all covered without stuttering.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah. So let's say I was reviewing a new phone. The bulletpoint list could look something like this:

- Introduction
- Specs
- Looks
- Feel
- Performance
- Everyday use
- Camera
- Games
- Battery life
- Conclusion

Depending on how good your memory is and how knowledgable you are of the product you could split them up even more to make sure you don't forget anything. Then, you could decide that "Wait, I want to talk about battery life before games since the games were a huge drain on battery" and then you just retake or just edit those to new order depending if the content makes sense already or not.

B-roll is pretty useful also to cover up the retakes. I have a travel channel and in the end of the videos I give five top tips to the destination. When I record it I might stumble with the numbers or not remember what I was thinking of saying, but I always roll travel photos or b-roll as the video instead of me, so it's really easy to edit it so it sounds like I had it all covered without stuttering.
Thanks for the detailed reply , helped me put things into perspective. Yep i think it would be good practice to memorize what you are going to say and have a script next to you if you somehow forget. If youre editing it so that it can be rearranged then each section should be modular and not depend on any preceeding or be dependent for subsequent sections.