My Story of Using Movie Maker |How Much Does Editing Software Actually Affect The Quality of Videos?

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently got into a conversation with this guy on a YouTuber discord about editing software. He said that if I wanted to improve the overall quality of my videos I should look into some more professional software, which I already have installed somewhere on my PC just doing nothing, but I still use MM. Here's the full story:

When my channel first began 4 years ago, I used MM for editing my videos, for about the first 2 years. Then the same point of getting better software came up again as I tried to improve my videos to try and get a even bigger audience than the one I had at time (which is smaller now, ironically, despite improved quality.) So I got Pinnacle Ultimate. I used it for a short while before actually switching back to Movie Maker. Why? Well for one main reason: I didn't use so many of its features anyway. It was more work to get everything into order to get the exact same product that I could've made in MM in a lot less time.

And it's wasn't about knowing how to use the program either. The guy I talked to even suggested I "learn how to use a better program while using MM, then fully switch when I am comfortable with it". But it wasn't about that either. I knew perfectly well how to use Pinnacle Ultimate and all its features.

Plus in all of my time using Movie Maker, I never had a situation where I thought "Oh, that would be nice to add to my video", only then to discover I cannot do it due to Movie Maker's limitations.

So what do you think of all of this? Should I go back to Pinnacle Ultimate or stick to Movie Maker? Will switching actually improve the quality of my videos? Or can I just continue to experiment will cool things in MM? Can the fact I use MM somehow be linked to the appalling growth my channel has?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I used to edit my videos through movie maker. But it doesn't give you the highest quality. Plus Movie maker doesnt have multiple video and audio channels which I think is too general editing program for me. I started using PREMIERE PRO, the functions were complicated for me, but as I started to play around, I got used to it, and understood all the aspects of it. I would suggest watch more tutorials of Pinnacle ultimate and improve ur skills.

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to edit my videos through movie maker. But it doesn't give you the highest quality. Plus Movie maker doesnt have multiple video and audio channels which I think is too general editing program for me. I started using PREMIERE PRO, the functions were complicated for me, but as I started to play around, I got used to it, and understood all the aspects of it. I would suggest watch more tutorials of Pinnacle ultimate and improve ur skills.
Again it's not really about not knowing how to use Pinnacle Ultimate.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Again it's not really about not knowing how to use Pinnacle Ultimate.
If Pinnacle produces high quality videos, then you should go for it. MM is just basic. Thats what I recommend!

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I, too, use Movie Maker. I can't afford Premiere, which is what I would prefer to use. Premiere has more options and flexibility. Whereas, Movie Maker is so limited. To cut audio and video clips is just way too complicated in Movie Maker. There is no way to get clean transitions when merging clips together in Movie Maker. For the time being, it's what I'm stuck with. :furious: lol However, if you feel one is better over the other than stick with that one. :smile22: I'm pretty sure you can export in high quality with Movie Maker because it has the different platforms already fixed for you.

I recently got into a conversation with this guy on a YouTuber discord about editing software. He said that if I wanted to improve the overall quality of my videos I should look into some more professional software, which I already have installed somewhere on my PC just doing nothing, but I still use MM. Here's the full story:

When my channel first began 4 years ago, I used MM for editing my videos, for about the first 2 years. Then the same point of getting better software came up again as I tried to improve my videos to try and get a even bigger audience than the one I had at time (which is smaller now, ironically, despite improved quality.) So I got Pinnacle Ultimate. I used it for a short while before actually switching back to Movie Maker. Why? Well for one main reason: I didn't use so many of its features anyway. It was more work to get everything into order to get the exact same product that I could've made in MM in a lot less time.

And it's wasn't about knowing how to use the program either. The guy I talked to even suggested I "learn how to use a better program while using MM, then fully switch when I am comfortable with it". But it wasn't about that either. I knew perfectly well how to use Pinnacle Ultimate and all its features.

Plus in all of my time using Movie Maker, I never had a situation where I thought "Oh, that would be nice to add to my video", only then to discover I cannot do it due to Movie Maker's limitations.

So what do you think of all of this? Should I go back to Pinnacle Ultimate or stick to Movie Maker? Will switching actually improve the quality of my videos? Or can I just continue to experiment will cool things in MM? Can the fact I use MM somehow be linked to the appalling growth my channel has?

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ah movie maker... I remember how I started dabbing in video editing. None of my videos I put on-line are edited in movie maker however. I started with Vegas 10 Pro and then returned back to the mother-ship Adobe. Anyway, getting sidetracked. The quote I highlighted tells it all. Stick with Movie Maker. Why make things more complicated if you don't need extra tools to fine tune your videos? If you are happy with it and your viewers don't see anything wrong with it why switch? I went back to Adobe because I was missing some tools to straighten out my shots and fix my audio the way I want to. I have been able to rescue some shots now, where I had to throw them away when still using Vegas. I can get rid of pops, brake squeal and tone down some wind noise with relative ease. I don't even get close to utilizing all the premiere functions, but that's OK. I can do more with it than I could with Vegas.

I did hate the first few videos. I was doubting myself: Why did I switch, the workflow is so much different. But, over time I mastered the basic workflow in adobe and my content got a great boost in quality. Win Win.

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The quote I highlighted tells it all. Stick with Movie Maker. Why make things more complicated if you don't need extra tools to fine tune your videos? If you are happy with it and your viewers don't see anything wrong with it why switch?
I don't have "viewers per say though", any genuine people who actually watch most of my videos and comment helpful, funny, or motivational things, so I don't really get that type of look into what my non existent community wants.

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Then continue on as you are. The moment you think you can do better with the other software is the moment you should move to said better software!